iPhone 3G on eBay...What the heck!

rcclcruise

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Has anyone seen the prices on ebay for the 3G? How are earth are people buying a phone that is contracted out to someone else....Im sorta lost here on this one...Anyone have a clue?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I was told at Apple store that people are buying and activating iPhones, selling on ebay and then canceling AT&T contract. If they do not return the phone to AT&T they are charged the full price of phone and serial number goes dead. So basically they said these people are making up for the full price they will pay for the phone and making money off of you and then selling you a phone that will be no good to activate. I'm not sure about this but thats what Apple employees are telling people.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
If you buy the iPhone and sign up for a plan, pay for the first month of service and the early termination fee, the iPhone 3G is available to use as you please. If youre in the US though, the iPhone 3G will only work on the att 3G network.

So its pretty pointless to buy a iPhone 3G on ebay if you live in the US. Youre better off going with the iPhone EDGE.

Aug 7, 2007
SF Bay Area
I was told at Apple store that people are buying and activating iPhones, selling on ebay and then canceling AT&T contract. If they do not return the phone to AT&T they are charged the full price of phone and serial number goes dead. So basically they said these people are making up for the full price they will pay for the phone and making money off of you and then selling you a phone that will be no good to activate. I'm not sure about this but thats what Apple employees are telling people.
You know I've heard this too. A couple weeks ago, Apple and AT&T have been saying that this is the reason why you have to activate the phone at the store, but when people couldn't get activated on Friday when iTunes was down, they were told they could go home and activate. So, it doesn't seem that you really need to go to the store to activate? It'd be too risky this early on to buy the iPhone on ebay if Apple and AT&T actually "do" what they said they were going to do all along. You don't stand in line and get it off ebay, but you end up with a brick? Hmmm.... I'll wait to get it at a local store and pay $199/$299 for my upgrade than do what everyone is doing on ebay.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
AT&T gives you 30 days with iPhone(3g) to cancel your plan, thats what I was told how they can cancel.

theevilone

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
1,500 for a phone on ebay. I will buy a no contract iPhone and tmo here I come.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Have you seen the one that's on Ebay for $8,180,000.50? Description: Haunted Apple iPhone. Item# 320273702620 People are crazy!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Lets say you make 1500 selling the new phone. Maybe you'll get more maybe less but let's go with that.

ETF 250
Let's just say bill 250 why not

1500-500=1000

1000= Decent chunk of change?

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
isn't it possible that you buy an iPhone 3G(upgraded) and then sell it off at ebay for 600-700(this is the avg. price selling presently at ebay) and then go to Apple store and buy one more but this time it would be for $399 on the same contract! so if you bought it for 199 and sold it for 700 on ebay you still made $300 ... It makes sense right?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
well I have 2 lines on my family plan that are upgrade eligible. Maybe I'll just buy 2 iPhones for those lines and then sell them on ebay. All I will have to do is extend the contract for those 2 lines by 2 years, I'll be keeping them that long anyway

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
It also depends on what country the phone is being sold from (or obtained). Most European countries have laws that do not require phones to be SIM locked. Belgium is the only known country that has laws against SIM locked phones. Hence the reason why they have the most expensive iPhone prices in the world.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Have you seen the one that's on Ebay for $8,180,000.50? Description: Haunted Apple iPhone. Item# 320273702620 People are crazy!
Haunted iPhone? What? Does it call people on its own? Or turn on and off when the ghost inside tells it to?

LMFAO! Im sorry but that is the funniest BS Ive ever heard.... :laugh2: