iPhone 3G on T-Mobile

rgm1266

Feb 5, 2009
Will the iPhone 3G work on T-Mobile's network? If so, is all I need to do is call T-Mobile and tell them I want to activate my phone?

Thanks,
Rob

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
It will work on T-Mobile's 2G network, not the 3G. You will have to jailbreak/unlock your phone and use a T-Mobile sim. If you go to the iPhone modifications section of the forum you should find plenty of information about how to do that.

I recently did this for a co-worker and his 3g iPhone works like a charm.

rgm1266

Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. One last question, will I get 3G speed? Or will it be the 2G/Edge network speed?

Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just to clarify. T-Mobile does have a 3G network, but the iPhone (all three models) lacks the hardware to be compatible with it. So, you have to disable 3G on the iPhone and just use Edge. Since you will be on Edge, and not on 3G, you will get Edge speeds. You do not need to call T-Mobile to activate it. The SIM card will activate as soon as you unlock it.

Jun 30, 2009
Just to clarify. T-Mobile does have a 3G network, but the iPhone (all three models) lacks the hardware to be compatible with it. So, you have to disable 3G on the iPhone and just use Edge. Since you will be on Edge, and not on 3G, you will get Edge speeds. You do not need to call T-Mobile to activate it. The SIM card will activate as soon as you unlock it.
What does that mean? iPhone hardware is not compatible with 3G network? Why? It is a 3G phone, so what is the problem?

Jun 30, 2009
It has to do with the frequencies that the different networks operate at. The iPhone does not support the current bands that T-Mobile uses. Here's more information, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=524017
sorry for my late reply. I was not aware of the frequencies match problem of iPhone 3G. Feeling very happy to know something more about the iPhone. My heartiest thanks to you for the link.

RagzMan

Sep 16, 2009
Salt Lake City
If so, is all I need to do is call T-Mobile and tell them I want to activate my phone?
You won't have to activate with T-Mobile, but you will have to subscribe to the data plan. I think it is $19.99, which is less than I was paying for the Blackberry plan on T-Mobile.

Sep 17, 2009
Ok so now i have a G1 I like it but not that much the phone freezes a lot. . I have the unlimited data plan for the phone and also unlimited SMS and MMS. I know the iPhone 3G doesn't work on T-mobile's 3G network but I don't care. I care about MMS now that the iPhone has the update 3.0.1 and can send pictures. will it let me send pictures with the iPhone or not? cause I know iPhone's on AT&T cant because of AT&T but in this case is T-mobile so idk!.
Help!
The iPhone will be unlocked and jailbrake! so it will work on T-mobile I only want to know if is a phone that is running 3.0 and is unlcoked can it send MMS? :D

Sep 17, 2009
Ok so now i have a G1 I like it but not that much the phone freezes a lot. . I have the unlimited data plan for the phone and also unlimited SMS and MMS. I know the iPhone 3G doesn't work on T-mobile's 3G network but I don't care. I care about MMS now that the iPhone has the update 3.0.1 and can send pictures. will it let me send pictures with the iPhone or not? cause I know iPhone's on AT&T cant because of AT&T but in this case is T-mobile so idk!.
Help!
The iPhone will be unlocked and jailbrake! so it will work on T-mobile I only want to know if is a phone that is running 3.0 and is unlcoked can it send MMS? :D

Jul 11, 2008
I have T-mobile and I am using an iPhone 3g. My mms works great, love it. Previously, with my 2g iPhone, I had to buy an application called Swirly MMS, but with the 3g you don't need that.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, it will work just fine on T-Mobile and have MMS. You can get a 3G on eBay and then we can help you jailbreak and unlock it.

Jul 22, 2009
My brother just got this iPhone3GS that have full of features he want. It's so cool