iPhone 3G or.........?

ihomer

Jul 9, 2007
Don't get me wrong I love my current iPhone. But is there another phone coming out that could be better? Better as in more functions (Sling Box support, MMS etc.)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If you're defining better as having more functions, then yeah there are a number of Windows Mobile and Nokia phones that probably trump the latest iPhone without breaking a sweat.

There are various - starting with the TyTN 2 / Tilt and N95 - that have an 'everything but the kichen sink' sort of feature list - higher-specced cameras, video recording capability, copy&paste, MMS, and so on.

Now if you define better in any sort of broader sense ...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Don't get me wrong I love my current iPhone. But is there another phone coming out that could be better? Better as in more functions (Sling Box support, MMS etc.)
There is always something coming out that is better. Apple themselves may release an iPhone with more memory and colors in the next 3 to N months.

May 6, 2007
United States
There is always something coming out that is better. Apple themselves may release an iPhone with more memory and colors in the next 3 to N months.
Good point. As I mentioned earlier, I just feel for some reason that the 8GB may be phased out relatively soon and 16GB prices could drop.

But, to the original poster, cell phone tech is always getting better, but it depends how you define better. In usability and functionality, I personally think that nothing can beat the iPhone. Also, the iPhone is the sleekest-looking phone and the phone with the best software to me.

May 6, 2007
United States
Which is exactly why I am waiting. I want to get the phone at the subsidized price. I think Apple has something for the next one that will knock our socks off.:cool:
I agree. The next iPhone will not be something "better," like this one, but it will be something revolutionary, like the first iPhone. Apple would likely not keep such a similar design for three phones, and they will add even more features.

What I really want is something I had never imagined, and I personally had never even heard of the rumors of an iPhone, and I only saw the iPhone on the news, the night of its release. I was so excited from that point on, because I knew it would be something truly special. I don't feel that hype with this phone, and I will not buy it. But the iPhone 3G is truly an amazing phone and one of the best out there.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have said this before, but this phone was designed to draw in the masses. After Apple has done that, watch out. We are in for some exciting times in the future.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Even though iPhone is the best, the only other phone I'd recommend-other than the iPhone lol- are the TyTn II, or N95. These phone have so many features it well worth the $600 dollar price tag ;)

I'd recommend the Tytn alittle more cause I've owned HTC's before are great phones, only drawback is that its running Window Mobile 6
-But at the same time you can look at the Tytn 2 and tell that it can fight lol!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
That's exactly my thinking. I just bought my iPhone a few months ago, and I'm locked into a two-year contract. So, why not just wait until next year when you're out of the two year contract and Apple has revealed a new iPhone that SHOULD have plenty features even the iPhone 3G is missing. And who knows, perhaps by then they will be on different carriers, with cheaper plans, etc. No longer would you have to pay that nice termination fee if you went to another carrier with your iPhone, since your contract is up.

I don't know, again, for me, there are way to many negatives for the iPhone 3G and just not enough positives....

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
there will always be a better phone just around the corner whether its the NEXT iPhone or nokia, RIM .... etc etc (less likely). If you are of the mind set to wait, advances in technology guarantee you a better phone. Such is the nature of the beast. However, if and when you do crack (and we all do eventually). With in 3-6 months you will be presented with an upgrade option.

The choice is simple, roll with it or wait, roll with it or wait, roll with it or wait. Welcome to the world of the techno junkie

S

Starry

You are so right ... there will ALWAYS be a better phone, smaller phone, more featured phone... its the locked in contracts that prevents people from changing.. if cell companies would let you upgrade and do whatever I can promise you there'd be a lot more happier cellphone subscribers! LOL

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
You are so right ... there will ALWAYS be a better phone, smaller phone, more featured phone... its the locked in contracts that prevents people from changing.. if cell companies would let you upgrade and do whatever I can promise you there'd be a lot more happier cellphone subscribers! LOL
too true Starry:)

May 6, 2007
United States
Even though iPhone is the best, the only other phone I'd recommend-other than the iPhone lol- are the TyTn II, or N95. These phone have so many features it well worth the $600 dollar price tag ;)

I'd recommend the Tytn alittle more cause I've owned HTC's before are great phones, only drawback is that its running Window Mobile 6
-But at the same time you can look at the Tytn 2 and tell that it can fight lol!
To be honest, I am not so sharp in cell phone knowledge, and I had never even heard of HTCs before people mentioned them on this site. Now that I keep hearing about them, I am starting to wonder if I should try one out some time. I will probably never buy anything other than an iPhone from now on, but I am interested to see what's up with these HTCs :).

The N95 is nice, but the looks are really the major drawback to me, as well as the clunky-ish size.