iPhone 3G questions and concerns

gixxer18

Oct 5, 2008
I am new to the whole iPhone thing. I was wondering because someone had told me that if you jailbreak your iPhone that it voids your warranty and if AT&T finds out that they can disconnect your service. is this true or a bunch ob bull? cause I really want to Jailbreak it. please don't flame. this

Marcos

Bronze
Dec 19, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
No they wont be able to disconnect your service, but it will void the warranty. If you jailbreak it and you take back to Apple for repairs they wont touch it so its the risk you take with jailbreaking I had a jailbroken v1 and it was well worth the risk

gixxer18

Oct 5, 2008
No they wont be able to disconnect your service, but it will void the warranty. If you jailbreak it and you take back to Apple for repairs they wont touch it so its the risk you take with jailbreaking I had a jailbroken v1 and it was well worth the risk
what does the warranty cover? and couldnt you reset to factory settings before you took it in?

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
I've heard people say that if you do jailbreak, And then restore the firmware to default (No jailbreak), Apple can't tell a thing.

Sounds logical.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The warranty is going to cover hardware and software defects. If your screen starts to fail, you notice considerable software lags or the speaker stops working then you will be covered under warranty. It does NOT cover physical, user-caused damage. The Jailbreak does in fact void the warranty but if you restore to factory settings prior to visiting Apple then you should be in the clear.

gixxer18

Oct 5, 2008
The warranty is going to cover hardware and software defects. If your screen starts to fail, you notice considerable software lags or the speaker stops working then you will be covered under warranty. It does NOT cover physical, user-caused damage. The Jailbreak does in fact void the warranty but if you restore to factory settings prior to visiting Apple then you should be in the clear.
are you 100% positive on this? and how do i restore the factory settings if I did jailbreak it and had to take it in for some reason?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
plug your iPhone in and open iTunes. When you go to your iPhone tab it will say restore on the screen. Select it and restore as a new phone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
are you 100% positive on this? and how do i restore the factory settings if I did jailbreak it and had to take it in for some reason?
I have done it a few times now (restore and take the phone to Apple that is) and have experienced no problems. Also, Kenneth's steps to restore are right on key. It's a really simple process that helps clean up after experiencing the full potential of your iPhone.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Im almost scared to jailbreak my iPhone even tho i long for the amaizing customization that you can obtain when jailbroken. Is it hard to do? what happens when you have to update? why do some people brick their phones while trying to jailbreak?
DEETS please!
Im so ready to customize my buttons and fonts, and pictures etc.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
londonrockz568 I was scared to jailbreak to. I finamy did it with the quickpwn software and it was super simple. If you read all the post about people "bricking" there phones I would say 98% of them were just in a panic and assumed they were bricked. Almost all of there problems were fixed and there phones back to normal. You will have to restore to do an update and re-jailbreak afterwards.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
ok, but the whole restore to update then re-jailbreak... is what im worried about. What if the update contains something to stop the jailbreak?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
ok, but the whole restore to update then re-jailbreak... is what im worried about. What if the update contains something to stop the jailbreak?
Then you are just back to a "normal" phone. But I don't think jailbreaking will ever be stopped. There is always someone out there that can overcome the next best update.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Then you are just back to a "normal" phone. But I don't think jailbreaking will ever be stopped. There is always someone out there that can overcome the next best update.
Exactly. Each time a new firmware is released it makes the Jailbreak gurus that much more eager to Jailbreak the firmware. I doubt it will ever be completely stopped. If so, it would only because there is lost interest, not lost ability.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
hrm... ok i may just try it...i have no coding skills what so ever, so i hope to learn how to do things before i mess up my phone.

Those guru's need to hurry up and unlock the phones. Whats the deal? they did it with the first gen, why not 3g?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I'm sure they are working on it. I used Quickpwn and it was as simple as following a few directions. As soon as you put your phone in DFU mode it does all the work for you. Just make sure you go to your task manager and end the processes that are related to Apple or iTunes. Also make sure iTunes is closed. Put your phone in airplane mode as well. If you have anymore questions let me know I will try and answer to the best of my abilities.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Do you have AIM? lol im so nervous (never had a v1) so its like a big thing.

IM me if you can, same s/n as here.

jaydubb

Oct 8, 2008
I've heard people say that if you do jailbreak, And then restore the firmware to default (No jailbreak), Apple can't tell a thing.

Sounds logical.
I have mine jailbroken and took it in to Apple cause I cracked the screen to see what can be done and one of the Genius' said they can't take this phone cause it was "unlocked", I told them it was just jailbroken and he said "yes, well we cant do nothing for you" and I said well then I will just go home and restore and come back...and one of the other genius' said well maybe if you just kinda found a cord, and through one on the counter, you could maybe find a mac sitting around here and plug your phone in there......I started laughin....

jailbreaking your phone is probably just as easy as syncing your phone to iTunes...modmyi.com has some good instructions to follow somewhere on there site....

tatara2345

Nov 6, 2008
i bought my 3g in thailand. its unlocked. If i upgrade it to 2.1 will it get blocked as i am in a foreign country.? I have a local mobile connection which works very well.