iPhone 3G reboots computer when plugged in

ColtieB

Jul 19, 2008
Does anyone else have this problem? As soon as I plug in my phone, my computer immediately reboots.

Last edited by a moderator:

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Its probably not the phone, is the drivers installed correctly? Did it work before?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah your Apple Mobile Device driver got whacky. An iTunes reinstall should set you straight.

If not, try removing your USB ports in Device Manager and letting them reinstall.

ColtieB

Jul 19, 2008
Yeah your Apple Mobile Device driver got whacky. An iTunes reinstall should set you straight.

If not, try removing your USB ports in Device Manager and letting them reinstall.
Yes Sir, it definitely is the Apple mobile device driver. I reinstalled iTunes to no avail. I'm going to try the USB port thing right now.

ColtieB

Jul 19, 2008
Uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers and it still does it :(

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California

Dave, do you know freakin' everything? Any chance I can talk you into relocating closer to northern California so that when I have issues you can just come over and fix them? .... Please? :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yes Sir, it definitely is the Apple mobile device driver. I reinstalled iTunes to no avail. I'm going to try the USB port thing right now.
That is odd. Maybe try completely uninstalling iTunes first... reboot... then install again? Something's not letting go of that messed up driver.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Dave, do you know freakin' everything? Any chance I can talk you into relocating closer to northern California so that when I have issues you can just come over and fix them? .... Please? :)
Hmmm... northern Cali. Tempting! ;)

ColtieB

Jul 19, 2008
Uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers and it still does it :(
Had to go in device manager and right click the USB devices and choose update driver. Works great now!

Thanks for the help guys.

daveorton

May 2, 2010
hi so does mine
It connects perfectly to my netbook but to my desktop it just reboots continuously

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
hi so does mine
It connects perfectly to my netbook but to my desktop it just reboots continuously
Hi Dave, try updating drivers as suggested in the post just above yours:

Had to go in device manager and right click the USB devices and choose update driver. Works great now!

Thanks for the help guys.
Edit: to get to the device manager, hold in the Windows key, press R, and in the run box, type devmgmt.msc

daveorton

May 2, 2010
Hi
Tried that but it does not say which device is the iPhone. I updated them all (each one said it was the latest) but no difference. I do not think the computer has the time to register a device before it switches off.
cheers
Dave

rishabh47

Feb 26, 2011
It may have some problem with some screenshots. Open the Photos app in the Ipod, delete som screnshot and BINGO!
Worked for me by the way!:D