iPhone 3G reception considerably worse than 2g?

negotiator

Jan 4, 2008
I recently upgraded to the new iPhone 3g and I must say that my reception is considerably worse than it was with the original iPhone. I am now dropping calls on a consistent basis and barely get reception where I once had decent reception. This occurs even when I turn 3g off. I don't think its the phone as there are places near towers that I get full reception and good service. However, I see many more dead spots and worse reception in buildings such as my home.

Is anyone else having a similar problem compared to their 2g iPhone? Is there anything I can do (with settings, etc.) to get better reception other than turning off 3g (which does not solve the problem)?

winterymix

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
St. Albans, WV
The general feeling of all the professional reviews I've seen done is that reception is marginally better than the original iPhone. Are you using a new type of case that might interfere?

negotiator

Jan 4, 2008
The general feeling of all the professional reviews I've seen done is that reception is marginally better than the original iPhone. Are you using a new type of case that might interfere?
Im using the same rubber case. Is it possible that the phone is defective?

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
It's not defective and I'm pretty certain taking it back will not get you anywhere. They'll explain to you the difference in 3G and EDGE networks blah blah blah... and chances are you'll get full signal strength inside the Apple store. It all depends on your proximity to 3G cell towers. 3G service will eventually be what we thought it would be when we purchased the new phones. Right now it's not living up to potential. Be patient; turn 3G off unless you've got great signal strength and deal with EDGE until AT&T converts more towers near you.
Also, re: your old case. They will tell you that it is not 3G compatible; whether or not this is true is debatable.

Jul 14, 2008
After using the new firmware on two iPhones, a 3G and a 1st generation, I have to say the reception is about the same.

Last night I though the reception had gotten worse after the upgrade. After taking the 3G with me to work last night and traveling all over town, I still get 5 bars on 3G in most areas, just not in my driveway. :(

0 dropped calls as was the case with 2.0 and earlier.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
never had the first iPhone but on my 3G i get dropped calls every now and then. I can say a lot of times whenever im taking my conversations is unclear as if im breaking up.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Basically cell tower signals have to overlap to get constant 3G. Right now they don't everywhere, so when you are in an area with no overlap this causes poor signal strength or even dropped calls. It will eventually get better.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
This occurs even when I turn 3g off. I don't think its the phone as there are places near towers that I get full reception and good service. However, I see many more dead spots and worse reception in buildings such as my home.
I have the same issue. I turned 3G off for the last 24 hours thinking the dropped calls were a result of the phone switching in and out of 3g but that is not the case. I have many dropped calls on Edge as well. I have also noticed that my phone will go from 1 to 4 bars and back to one and sometimes no service while in one location. That seems like a large fluctuation for the signal.

redstar299

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Reception stinks

I couldn't agree more-this phone has horrible reception. I have a Blackberry for work too and I'll have no signal on the iPhone and 3 bars on the blackberry all the time. Really disapointing-some stuff is awesome the browser and ipod but some stuff really makes you scratch your head like what were they thinking? did they not test this phone in NYC? its a huge market so I would think someone would have seen how bad the service is before it came out

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
did they not test this phone in NYC? its a huge market so I would think someone would have seen how bad the service is before it came out
I thought the same thing. I am in LA or Orange County just south of LA. Huge market!

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I couldn't agree more-this phone has horrible reception. I have a Blackberry for work too and I'll have no signal on the iPhone and 3 bars on the blackberry all the time. Really disapointing-some stuff is awesome the browser and ipod but some stuff really makes you scratch your head like what were they thinking? did they not test this phone in NYC? its a huge market so I would think someone would have seen how bad the service is before it came out
I'm in NYC and I have always had more than 3 bars (especially in Manhattan.) Most times I have 4 or 5 bars. There a few tiny dead spots within the 5 boroughs, but overall it's good. Even island coverage is good - I went to Bayville a week ago and had 4 bars of 3G on the beach.

I conducted a series of speed tests, and even with 1 or 2 bars, I still get speed results above 400kbps. I routinely get results around 700 or 800 kbps and once in a while near 1mbps.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
i got my first taste of 3g this week I had to go to kansas city for a wedding. I had to use my phone a lot between calls to stay up with friends. using gps to find my way to the church. and finding a resturant for dinner everyone was impressed withmy phone.

i still have not dropped a call on my3g and lost very little on my ver 1. except at work where i am in the basemnt so no one has service down there.