iPhone 3G ripoff (disappointed)

iceremix

Jul 9, 2008
Hi i am from New Zealand where the iPhone3g goes on sale as of midnight tonight, our current carrier over here is "Vodafone" 2days ago they started to advertise the price that we could purchase the phone for, of course you can imagine the buzz and anticapation as everyone has had waiting for the release of this phone.. the advert said "get the new iPhone3g starting from only $199.00"

as you can imagine the whole NZ was like oohhhh yeah and phone enthusists alike..

much to our disgust Vodafone NZ released its pricing plans yesterday $199.00 is right! on a 2year plan at $250.00 a month = $6000.00 over 2yrs..

im sure this defeats the whole purpose of why APPLE made the phone more affordable.. it was one of their goals if youve seen the video doc on the APPLE website. Many people here in NZ are unhappy to say the least at what Vodafone has done and now a lot of people wont even look at buying one. I for one am gutted..

the other pricing plans Vodafone have offered are just as ridiculous and in some instances 4 to 5 times more expensive than the rest of the world. in our eyes theyve taken this amazing piece of technology and decided to make money off it no matter what APPLES intentions first were..

check http://www.vodafone.co.nz/iPhone/plans.jsp for pricing plans,

just wanted to share my thoughts.

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
Hi i am from New Zealand where the iPhone3g goes on sale as of midnight tonight, our current carrier over here is "Vodafone" 2days ago they started to advertise the price that we could purchase the phone for, of course you can imagine the buzz and anticapation as everyone has had waiting for the release of this phone.. the advert said "get the new iPhone3g starting from only $199.00"

as you can imagine the whole NZ was like oohhhh yeah and phone enthusists alike..

much to our disgust Vodafone NZ released its pricing plans yesterday $199.00 is right! on a 2year plan at $250.00 a month = $6000.00 over 2yrs..

im sure this defeats the whole purpose of why APPLE made the phone more affordable.. it was one of their goals if youve seen the video doc on the APPLE website. Many people here in NZ are unhappy to say the least at what Vodafone has done and now a lot of people wont even look at buying one. I for one am gutted..

the other pricing plans Vodafone have offered are just as ridiculous and in some instances 4 to 5 times more expensive than the rest of the world. in our eyes theyve taken this amazing piece of technology and decided to make money off it no matter what APPLES intentions first were..

Wow, you guys over in NZ are getting raped. And here in the states people are complaining they are paying $10 more.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
That's only about US$189 per month. I'm assuming the prices quoted are in NZ$, yes? Also on their site, the 16GB phone is NZ$349 (or US$265).

The phone seems more expensive than in the US and the service also seems expensive. It's not even unlimited data. :(

iphone1027

Bronze
Jul 2, 2008
That's only about US$189 per month. I'm assuming the prices quoted are in NZ$, yes? The phone would then be US$151.

The service still seems expensive. It's not even unlimited data. :(
You could say that again!

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I feel bad for you guys over there.
Those prices are wayyy to much.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow. Those prices make Rogers seem affordable. It's another one of the reasons I love living in the States.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Wow. Those prices make Rogers seem affordable. It's another one of the reasons I love living in the States.
Thats true. A lot of things are cheaper here...

Phone cost and plan costs, car prices, etc. Just not living costs...at least in Cali...

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I don't see how they sell iPhones there besides the uber rich people, no one will even pay that. If enough people don't buy, the prices will drop.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Thats true. A lot of things are cheaper here...

Phone cost and plan costs, car prices, etc. Just not living costs...at least in Cali...
Actually, the cost of living is generally much cheaper in the States as well. According to the list of the most expensive cities to live in 2008, only 1 U.S. city (New York) was in the top 10 and there are only 2 in the top 20.

http://www.citymayors.com/economics/expensive_cities2.html

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah even though the cost of living SEEMS high here (which in essense, it is) the costs elsewhere are just ridiculous.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado

wow 250 a month is ridiculous! there is no way to get a cheaper plan but just pay more for the phone?

iceremix

Jul 9, 2008
wow 250 a month is ridiculous! there is no way to get a cheaper plan but just pay more for the phone?

there are cheaper plans but after you pay the differance because the cheaper the plan monthly.. the dearer the phone is and the slacker the services.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
there are cheaper plans but after you pay the differance because the cheaper the plan monthly.. the dearer the phone is and the slacker the services.
wow im sorry that just seems wrong to me, its like they are robbing people