iPhone 3G S, Was a worthwhile upgrade?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
I'm using a V1, my 3G stopped working a while ago. To upgrade to a 3G S, I have to shell out $350 because I'm not opting for a data plan.

Is it worth that much money? Or am I better of waiting for next year's release?

notjustgc

Bronze
Jun 18, 2009
Not opting for a data plan? I can't say ANY iPhone will ever be worthwhile without a data plan...

Get a free flip phone and in iPod Touch maybe?

eguang

Oct 7, 2007
I held off upgrading last year because the improvement between v1 and 3G was not worth $299 + tax + increase in monthly fees to me. But I upgraded from v1 to 3GS (32GB) because the improvements were much more and with potential for it to be even greater (MMS, tethering, faster 3G).
So using my logic maybe going from 3G to 3GS is not worh the $350+. But your case is different, you were forced to downgrade to v1. So it depends were you see yourfelf at this moment, a v1 user or a 3G user

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Not opting for a data plan? I can't say ANY iPhone will ever be worthwhile without a data plan...

Get a free flip phone and in iPod Touch maybe?
I live on university residence so I have free WiFi 99% of the day! So I decided not to spend an extra $30 a month.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
Entirely worth the money, i paid $430 to early upgrade and I'm so happy with my purchase, Apple never dissapoints.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I paid the same as FrankieG, and coming from a 3G, it seems well worth it. The speed of opening and loading apps is just amazing, voice control is awesome. Definitely worth it to me

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
It's really a personal thing. Over a 3G the only "feature" I consider meaningful is the camera upgrade. Is that really worth the cost? The speed is a minor upgrade, as is the compass. The higher speed internet capability is unusable in the US at this time, and since you're not even using a data plan pretty meaningless to you anyway.