iPhone 3G: Signal Issues - No Service and other issues

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

johinho

Dec 5, 2008
All,

In Ireland on 02.

Bought an iPhone 3G not through 02 (On EBay as my phone is a work phone and they wouldn't allow me to upgrade to the iPhone) and was initially very pleased with it. It came with S/W 2.1 and it upgraded to 2.2 with no problems.

Then, last weekend, all 3rd Party Applications stopped working. I would open them and it would just go back to the home page. At the same time my signal reception was very bad, but, as I was away for the weekend in a "fairly" remote area, I didn't really worry about this.

At the time I uninstalled all the 3rd Party apps and it made no difference, so I backed up and restored the phone. The 3rd Party Apps then worked, but I continued to notice Signal Issues. Since I got the phone I would only turn on 3G if I really needed it, so I would rarely have it turned on. Now, in my home I have next to no signal when I never noticed an issue before. I notice that when I take the phone out and press the home button to take it out of sleep mode, it would initially say I had 3 bars, but then they'd disappear and it would say "no service". It happened in Dublin Airport yesterday and I have never had a problem out there. It is the same whether I have 3G on or off, however, signal always seems worse on 3G.

So today, I reset to factory defaults and didn't restore. I just synced my contacts etc after. but it seems to be the same, however, I won't know for sure until I go home.

It does seem to work fine in the car or outside, but once I'm inside a building there is very little chance of reliable signal and service.

I am going to test the field service mode *3001#12345#* later on at home and see what it looks like, but has anyone experiences similar issues and is there anything I can do?

As I said I never noticed signal issues before last weekend, so now I wondering whether I should downgrade the SW to 2.1.

Nothing has happened to the phone and it hasn't been damaged.

I saw a post on a forum elsewhere where someone said that they had purchased an extremely expensive iPod touch, and that is how I'm starting to feel.

I have obviously seen all the reports on bad signal etc all over the internet, but is there any chance of improvement?

Cheers!

yanki

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
if you were using a proxy sim for the iPhone s/w 2.1, and upgraded to 2.2... you need a new proxy sim that works with 2.2... you basically locked your phone once again.. if you are not, then you might want to check with your carrier