iPhone 3G Size and Battery Life Analysis

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 13, 2007
Roll Tide!
Wifi uses less battery than EDGE

I just read an interesting article about Apple's decision to go with EDGE rather than 3G. According to the analysis, 3G would have reduced the iPhone's talk time to less than 3 hours! :eek:

Another interesting part of the article was that "iPhone's EDGE implementation produced a 25% battery life reduction compared to its Wifi implementation." If I'm understanding this correctly, Wifi in the iPhone provides increased speed and better battery life! Good to know.:cool:

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
random question because i didn't wanna make a new thread:

has anyone felt like their first half of battery life goes down slower than the second half? In other words, from the icon going from 100%-50% seems longer than 50% to needing a charge?

note: im not complaining about overall battery life, its fine, gets me through the day, but im just noticing this trend.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I've noticed this before. Several times I've thought I could get an additional day out of a charge, but once it gets down to 40% it just drops the charge in a few hours.

Jul 13, 2007
Roll Tide!
random question because i didn't wanna make a new thread:

has anyone felt like their first half of battery life goes down slower than the second half? In other words, from the icon going from 100%-50% seems longer than 50% to needing a charge?

note: im not complaining about overall battery life, its fine, gets me through the day, but im just noticing this trend.
Come on man! Don't hijack my thread!:p

50% to "needing a charge" is only a 30% reduction. The battery icon turns red at 20% remaining.

Brandon!

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Another interesting part of the article was that "iPhone's EDGE implementation produced a 25% battery life reduction compared to its Wifi implementation." If I'm understanding this correctly, Wifi in the iPhone provides increased speed and better battery life! Good to know.:cool:
I don't' agree. I notice that the battery drains like crazy when I'm using wifi. I turn off wifi until I'm need to use the wifi, and my battery life lasts a lot longer.

Jul 13, 2007
Roll Tide!
im not hijacking im putting a question in it :p
A completely unrelated question, which was also the first "response" to the thread (rather than creating your own thread) - that's called hijacking the thread to most reasonable people who frequent forums.

yours is just a statement, one most people already knew about
No, this is useful information that was only published yesterday and has not been discussed on this forum. I, for one, was not aware that iPhone's Wifi used less battery than EDGE.

Also, I was trying to be nice by trying to provide a possible answer to your question - I was just kidding when I said "don't hijack my thread".

:)

zteg

Jun 26, 2007
I don't' agree. I notice that the battery drains like crazy when I'm using wifi. I turn off wifi until I'm need to use the wifi, and my battery life lasts a lot longer.
You don't agree from your "crazy" testing? I'm sorry but I'm going to side with Anandtech on this one giving them the benefit of the doubt that they did in depth analysis as opposed to someones perceptions.

And If you read the article, the test shows that while they were USING wifi, it drained less battery than while USING edge. Of course the battery is going to drain when your phone checks if wifi is available evey (insert how often wifi is checked for here).

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3036&p=3
"Each page was loaded by the browser and was set to forward to the next page (in the above order) after 10 seconds; the screens on the phones were set to remain on constantly, with the Blackjack set to brightness level 3, and the iPhone set to approximately 30%. All backlight timers were disabled. Bluetooth was enabled but not paired to any devices."