iPhone 3G Sold Out First Day?

Jun 13, 2008
Will the iPhone 3G be sold out the first day it comes out, July 11?

...Will people have to wait for 4 hours outside the store waiting for it to open to buy the phone?

Pure_dc

May 3, 2008
Are you kidding me...
What do you think

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well knowing that the iPhone 3G requires instore activation, their most likely will be lines but I think that the idea of them selling out will depend on how big or small the store is, or if the area has 3G coverage or not. . .

But all we can really do is wait and see ya kno

Autumnoel

May 17, 2008
Hollywood, FL
Last year some AT&T stores here ran out of iPhones before the end of iDay. But the Apple stores had them in abundance and did not run out. I would prefer to go to the AT&T store. But if you have to go at night or the next morning like I will, head straight for an Apple store. I think our chances will be better there.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
go to the AT&T wireless site and put in your zip :)
Not exactly true. AT&T has been converting so quickly that they haven't updated that coverage map on their site. Here in the Columbus, GA area, we are on 3G now, but it's not showing on that map.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Not exactly true. AT&T has been converting so quickly that they haven't updated that coverage map on their site. Here in the Columbus, GA area, we are on 3G now, but it's not showing on that map.
Well that's interesting. So the map is not that useful during the roll out. But I suppose they are always expanding and improving. Would be nice if they updated that more regularly.

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
Im in California and I'm not going in on day1 v2 iPhone3g. I repeat I am not going in on day 1. I waited in line on day one last year and was reassured that there were PLENTY of iPhones to go around.
Large market California shouldnt have to worry about 1st day sellout. Im not even gonna second guess myself on this one. I am using my experience from last year. Im just gonna stroll my butt in on day 2 and get one white and one black. Hope this puts some at ease. Just realize if youre in a big city DO NOT WORRY. ex. San Diego almost 2million people is a good thing

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
In the interest of spending some quality time with my brother, I'm going to wait until the 12th and go with him to buy our new iPhone 3Gs.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think with a lot of people already having iPhones and with the restrictions on the new one as far as activation and people not eligible for upgrades coming from other phones, increased data plan rate, etc., AT$T has kinda put a buzzkill on things. I think that there will be lines, but there should be plenty of phones. Just like last year, I'll probably get one on the day after. I don't see them selling out on day 1.

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
Yeah they definitely wont sell out
-but at the same time their isn't that much hype surrounding the iPhone 3G this time around. . .
EXACTLY
even with the lower price Im not waiting in line again.
Fun 1st time around though

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think with a lot of people already having iPhones and with the restrictions on the new one as far as activation and people not eligible for upgrades coming from other phones, increased data plan rate, etc., AT$T has kinda put a buzzkill on things. I think that there will be lines, but there should be plenty of phones. Just like last year, I'll probably get one on the day after. I don't see them selling out on day 1.
Balance what you said against the lower price for the iPhone 3G and I'm not sure what will happen...

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Im in California and I'm not going in on day1 v2 iPhone3g. I repeat I am not going in on day 1. I waited in line on day one last year and was reassured that there were PLENTY of iPhones to go around.
Large market California shouldnt have to worry about 1st day sellout. Im not even gonna second guess myself on this one. I am using my experience from last year. Im just gonna stroll my butt in on day 2 and get one white and one black. Hope this puts some at ease. Just realize if youre in a big city DO NOT WORRY. ex. San Diego almost 2million people is a good thing
I live in San Diego too and there was huge lines at every AT&T and Apple store. Are you sure they didn't sell out the first day? I'm pretty sure at least the AT&T stores did.