iPhone 3G Stock in recovery mode

Nov 25, 2012
I recently acquired an iPhone 3G from a friend who upgraded to an iPhone 5--I already have a phone, but he thought I might want it. I'm trying to figure out how to make it work, but when I plug it into my laptop, it tells me it needs to be restored, and when I do, it eventually says that "Error 1015" has prevented the phone from being restored. I've done a LOT of research on how to fix this problem, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that the phone may have been jailbroken. Its previous owner operated the phone on T-Mobile, but I never heard of him having any problems using the phone, so I thought it could be something else.
My other question is if there is any way around the incompatibility of a lot of apps with the iPhone 3G. I know that most people say you should just upgrade to a newer model, but I want to find a way to make this phone work (though I do understand that its prospects are not good).

Thank you!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Download the latest version of redsn0w and then download the 3G version of the 4.2.1 firmware on iClarified.com. Google iClarified ipsw don't download through Internet Explorer. Then connect your phone, open redsn0w, select the firmware you downloaded and jailbreak the phone. This should allow you to bypass the 1015 error.