iPhone 3G submerged in water - Is there hope?

Jan 22, 2009
Okay so here's the scoop, as you guys have already heard familiar stories.

My iPhone 3G had fell out of my BACK POCKET of the jeans into the toilet (clean), and I had taken it out within seconds taking it to dry with a towel. Here's I think what is my mistake, I shook it. I realized that everytime I shook the phone, water would come out so I assumed that I could get the water out fast this way. Stupid, yes I know now. I actually had tried to power off right when I took it out, but when it got to the screen where you slide the red bar to shut off the phone, the screen just wouldn't let me touch it and it basically froze on me. ): Continuing - I just kept on wiping it, and the the phone eventually turned off itself. For the next 30 minutes or so, I kept on pressing the Home button, switching the silent / ringer button, and the top lock button, hoping something will happen. Something DID happen! I saw the Apple from the start up screen TWICE, but only for 4 seconds each time, then the screed died on me again. . . Since I had school, it was left in my bag for the day, and I tried to turn it on every now and then. After about 9 hours, I was home and my friend had suggested blowdrying it, so I did. I faced the end of the drier at my lock button, because I found that my LENS were foggy, and everytime I dried it, the fog would go away. When it went away however, after about 4 minutes fog started to appear again. So after two attempts at the drier, I stopped and put the iPhone in a bowl of rice.

With what I had done so far, do you guys still think it'll turn on? I remember seeing a red light flash, and I'm not quite sure where this water sensor paper is, because all I see in the headphone hole is black -_-... any help please?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank

My iPhone 3G had fell out of my BACK POCKET of the jeans into the toilet (clean), and I had taken it out within seconds taking it to dry with a towel. Here's I think what is my mistake, I shook it. I realized that everytime I shook the phone, water would come out so I assumed that I could get the water out fast this way. Stupid, yes I know now. I actually had tried to power off right when I took it out, but when it got to the screen where you slide the red bar to shut off the phone, the screen just wouldn't let me touch it and it basically froze on me. ): Continuing - I just kept on wiping it, and the the phone eventually turned off itself. For the next 30 minutes or so, I kept on pressing the Home button, switching the silent / ringer button, and the top lock button, hoping something will happen. Something DID happen! I saw the Apple from the start up screen TWICE, but only for 4 seconds each time, then the screed died on me again. . . Since I had school, it was left in my bag for the day, and I tried to turn it on every now and then. After about 9 hours, I was home and my friend had suggested blowdrying it, so I did. I faced the end of the drier at my lock button, because I found that my LENS were foggy, and everytime I dried it, the fog would go away. When it went away however, after about 4 minutes fog started to appear again. So after two attempts at the drier, I stopped and put the iPhone in a bowl of rice.

With what I had done so far, do you guys still think it'll turn on? I remember seeing a red light flash, and I'm not quite sure where this water sensor paper is, because all I see in the headphone hole is black -_-... any help please?
The first thing you should've done is NOT even made an attempt at turning on the phone. Then you should've left the phone in a bag of uncooked rice for about a week or two without touching the phone.

I don't know what you're talking about, about the red light flashing...

The water sensor is inside the headphone jack, but you'll need to look in a BRIGHT area and look closely to be able to see the (in this case) red piece of paper.

Jan 22, 2009
By red light...on the top left hand side of the iPhone screen, there are 3 faint purple circles. I always wondered what they were. When I was wiping off the water, I saw one out of the three circles flashing a RED light o: I'm not too sure what it was either... &I know I should'nt have done what I did..but too late now. :l Just want a way to fix it, I'm so desperate ):

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I think that the rice approach is your best bet, but you may have FUBAR'd the phone by trying to turn it on. Though I do completely understand freaking out and trying to see if the phone will work ASAP. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2009
The first thing you should've done is NOT even made an attempt at turning on the phone. Then you should've left the phone in a bag of uncooked rice for about a week or two without touching the phone.

I don't know what you're talking about, about the red light flashing...

The water sensor is inside the headphone jack, but you'll need to look in a BRIGHT area and look closely to be able to see the (in this case) red piece of paper.
Okay, I just set it under a really bright light and I finally see it. It's like half pink and half white...

Think I stand a chance against any Apple members? :l I wonder if any of them would show sympathy..

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Okay, I just set it under a really bright light and I finally see it. It's like half pink and half white...

Think I stand a chance against any Apple members? :l I wonder if any of them would show sympathy..
You MIGHT get lucky and get someone who woke up on the right side of the bed, but those chances are slim.

And where you saw the "red light", were the 3 circles in this formation?:

. :

Jan 22, 2009
You MIGHT get lucky and get someone who woke up on the right side of the bed, but those chances are slim.

And where you saw the "red light", were the 3 circles in this formation?:

. :
Yes it was! What does that mean? I know this sounds REALLY stupid and immature, but I have been literally crying over the phone for the past two days. I always told my friends I didn't like it whenever it froze on me, but then it's a sudden realization that I love it so much. Everyones starting to get mad at me for crying over a "non living material"

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yes it was! What does that mean? I know this sounds REALLY stupid and immature, but I have been literally crying over the phone for the past two days. I always told my friends I didn't like it whenever it froze on me, but then it's a sudden realization that I love it so much. Everyones starting to get mad at me for crying over a "non living material"
The . : are actually sensors. Not lights... I'm not sure where the red is coming from. Usually, they're only visible in bright sunlight...

And don't worry about being sad over the phone. I'm awaiting my replacement device. I haven't used it in probably over a week. I miss it. :(

I'm actually eagerly awaiting my new device.

Jan 22, 2009
The . : are actually sensors. Not lights... I'm not sure where the red is coming from. Usually, they're only visible in bright sunlight...

And don't worry about being sad over the phone. I'm awaiting my replacement device. I haven't used it in probably over a week. I miss it. :(

I'm actually eagerly awaiting my new device.

How did you damage your phone? And why are you getting replacements?

Jan 22, 2009
I didn't damage my phone. There's a problem with my home button, that's why I'm getting a replacement.
Ohh I see :l Well atleast you're getting it replaced....

>< do you think i can quickly buy insurance right now?

Jan 22, 2009
Who are you planning on buying insurance from? Apple nor AT&T offers any for the iPhone...
lol yes they do! my moms friend has insurance for the iPhone 3G, and before we signed the contract they asked if we wanted to buy insurance as well, but we said no. who woulda thought something like that would happen...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
lol yes they do! my moms friend has insurance for the iPhone 3G, and before we signed the contract they asked if we wanted to buy insurance as well, but we said no. who woulda thought something like that would happen...
AT&T offers iPhone insurance? Since when?

EDIT: I just called AT&T to confirm and they DO NOT offer any iPhone insurance, whatsoever. Most likely, as usual, your rep that was helping you was misinformed.

Also, it is possible to get 3rd party iPhone insurance though.

Jan 22, 2009
AT&T offers iPhone insurance? Since when?

EDIT: I just called AT&T to confirm and they DO NOT offer any iPhone insurance, whatsoever. Most likely, as usual, your rep that was helping you was misinformed.

Also, it is possible to get 3rd party iPhone insurance though.
It's not from ATT? Apple was the one that offered it, and my moms friend really has it :p So yeah..

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It's not from ATT? Apple was the one that offered it, and my moms friend really has it :p So yeah..
Now I just realized what you're talking about, lol.

You're talking about the AppleCare thing right?

In your case, even if you had it, it would be of no help.
It doesn't cover hardware damage.

Jan 22, 2009
Now I just realized what you're talking about, lol.

You're talking about the AppleCare thing right?

In your case, even if you had it, it would be of no help.
It doesn't cover hardware damage.
Really? I found on this one site where it's iPhone 3G insurance & it just said it covered water damage. Although I'm not sure what this "insurance" thing is related to, because I don't see it on Apple or ATT. :l Not sure if it's just a fluke or something...anyway, I don't know. I'm just praying that my phone will be okay even through all the damage I brought it. :(

JasonKent

Dec 11, 2010

Yh this exact same scenario happened to me except it fell into the sink, but the foggy lens, red light and failed start ups with the Apple logo were all symptoms that i experienced with my wet iPhone 3g plus a couple others which i'll add for the rest of the world (switching itself on and off randomly, extremely dim screen backlight message appearing about connceted hardware when nothings plugged in.) To get rid of the back lick problem i switched it off then plugged it into a power source (my laptop) and it lit up like the 4th o' July.

I eventually got everything else to work like brand new but with one slight change, which from what ive read you will never be able to fix without spare parts and plenty of know how. The red light you saw about 5mm left of the built in earphone thingy has been there since i dropped mine in the sink and is still there to this day. (one and a half... days) Its an infra red light, part of one of the iPhones many sensors, usually its invisible to the naked eye but for some reason almost all iPhones that get wet have this LED go dull red, i don't know if this is deliberate on Apples behalf but basically its there for life, which i don't mind ( it adds character)

To dry out the phone without placing it in f*cking rice for two weeks, somewhere warm in a tub(which to me just sounds like a recipe... for disaster, har har), you can take it apart fairly quickly/safely and have it dry within a night beside the radiator or in the airing cupboard (dunno bout you but i cant go an hour without my phone)
Heres a link to separate the front screen and back.

They use all sorts of weird geek tools like a iPhone sim card remover, iPhone screen removing tool and screwdrivers :confused: you can find alternatives in and about your house im sure ( i found them on my desk lol, literatly a fountain pen lid for the small screw driver, a swiss army knife for the screen seperator and safety pin for the SIM tray extractor-ma-jig)
Once the two sides are separated leave them somewhere warm overnight and the inside electronics will all be dry and back to normal, the phone will stop switching itself on and off at random moments in time, asking if you would like 'to turn on airplane mode because the current accessory was not designed for the iPhone' the camera wont be foggy etc etc..

Oh and that red paper is inside the headphone jack, its starts white, goes pink when exposed to water. Its so that 'they' can tell if you're telling porkys, when you say, for warrantys sake, that "it. just. stopped. working." When you actually dropped it down the school ****ter because youre a moron. Heres yet another link to hide the red paper if you want techys to fix your phone but personally i say man up and DIY