iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS is worth it.

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I don't see a lot of people posting about it but it's worth upgrading to the 3GS. I recommend you try to sell your iPhone for the amount you paid for it. I had to sell mine for 299.99 plus 6.5% sales tax and the $18 upgrade fee. So I couldn't sell my old iPhone for less than $340.

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for the $199 so I had to pay $399 for the 16gb 3GS. $444 with the 6.5% sales tax and the $18 upgrade fee that will appear on my next bill. The most I'd have to pay would be $104 for a 16GB 3GS. Works for me.

Was it worth it? Yes, for this reason only. I was able to complete my own hands on comparison with the 3G and the 3GS on iPhone OS 3.0. I found the web browsing much faster on the 3GS. The 7.2mbps network upgrade won't take affect until later but there is still a speed difference. The page loads faster and on a blogging site like engadget you can quickly scroll to the bottom without the ckecker board lag. It's has to be the internal memory and CPU boost responsible for this. I also downloaded terminator salvation and it ran much smoother without framerate issues.

The compas worked ok but I was more impressed with the camera and the focus feature. The video recording was clear and smooth as well but it doesn't let you edit the video, just trim it. To wrap this up, I'm content with this upgrade. Has anyone else had a chance to compare the 3G to the 3GS?

Can a mod move this to the iPhone 3GS forum?

hurlthis22

Bronze
Jan 12, 2009
Moorpark, CA
IMO

NO.
My friend got one and I was playinng around with it. Im happy with my 3G. Really don't care for a compass.. and I have patience for it to lag by just a couple seconds. Ive gone long enough with out a video.. and usually bring my camera if I go to events so that can record. I wasn't impressed with the 3Gs..

But, props to those who got it. Im just going to wait for something more than what I already have to upgrade.

Clay330i

Feb 24, 2009
San Diego, CA
IMO

NO.
My friend got one and I was playinng around with it. Im happy with my 3G. Really don't care for a compass.. and I have patience for it to lag by just a couple seconds. Ive gone long enough with out a video.. and usually bring my camera if I go to events so that can record. I wasn't impressed with the 3Gs..

But, props to those who got it. Im just going to wait for something more than what I already have to upgrade.
Actually the 3GS is more than what you currently have. The specs can't be argued. I had a 3G as well and the speed difference is very noticeable in everything you do with the iPhone. Texting, video, apps, load times, especially web, etc. Anyone that doesn't notice a difference probably only uses the iPhone strictly as a phone. The camera is loads better (see the 3GS picture thread). I don't use video much either, but I guess it's nice to have. And the increased volume of the speakers is a nice bonus! There are other cool features, but those alone are worth upgrading if you can afford it.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Imo

The iPhone 3GS is not worth it to me. I played with it in the Apple store and it didn't seem much faster to me now that my 3G has 3.0 OS. I also tried out the video which seemed cool. I tried out the compass which is pointless to me unless I am stranded in the middle of the jungle and have to figure out which way to go which probably will never happen. The internet browser didn't seem much faster and going from app to app seemed the same. Lastly, the auto focus seems like a gimmick to me and didn't really seem to work or have any point and camera was the same digitally.

My eligibility to upgrade is in November and by then they will probably have something in the works for next summer so I'll just wait until then. Even then though I will have to shell out another $199 which still might not be worth it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
As an upgrader from a 3G to the 3GS, the 3GS has made browsing a whole new experience for me because of the speed increase. In addition, everything is faster and smoother on the 3GS compared to the 3G.

That, along with the other hardware improvements coupled with 3.0, has made this an extremely worthwhile upgrade for me.

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
Yes is worth the update at first I was thinking I was not. I sold my 16 gb 3G for $350 on craigslist in 3 hrs updated to the 32gb 3g s for $10 out of my pocket how can you go wrong. Plus it's a lot faster love the voice command.

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
What I think is... A iPhone 3G with 3.0 is on its own so great. 3G s only has a faster processor and more ram. + a few features that we don't really use. Even Apple didn't feel that the upgrade was worthwhile so they bumped a few features from 3.0 for 3G...like voice commands (that doesn't need hardware? and i guess 3G has enough processor and ram to run a voice recognition app.)

I would wait for the next one... that money doesn't grow on trees for me.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Let's just remember that "it's not worth the upgrade" or "it's definitely worth the upgrade" should be appended with "for me".

Everyone has different needs. For me, it's worth it. For my wife, not so much.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
As an upgrader from a 3G to the 3GS, the 3GS has made browsing a whole new experience for me because of the speed increase. In addition, everything is faster and smoother on the 3GS compared to the 3G.

That, along with the other hardware improvements coupled with 3.0, has made this an extremely worthwhile upgrade for me.
big +1 on that!

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
For me it's not worth the upgrade neither. The features that are on the 3G S can be found in cydia. I'm passing til 2011 version...iPhone 3G "ridiculous".

Clay330i

Feb 24, 2009
San Diego, CA
For me it's not worth the upgrade neither. The features that are on the 3G S can be found in cydia. I'm passing til 2011 version...iPhone 3G "ridiculous".
Where did you find a faster CPU and an extra 128MB of ram on Cydia? I never saw it....

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Reviews and videos and hear-say don't do it justice. When you actually use it in your daily life like you've used your previous device, only then do you really know how much of a difference there is. Yes, if you only time application starts or single tasks like opening a page, or swiping screens, you only see that single, 2-5 second difference. But when it speeds EVERYTHING up by about that much, you find yourself saving those 2-5 seconds several times over the course of an hour. It blurs the line between a mobile entertainment device/phone and a desktop experience, and you only really get that sensation when you're playing with it. I too believed the reviews when they said there wasn't that much of a difference, but in reality, there is a bigger difference than the sum of the parts.

Clay330i

Feb 24, 2009
San Diego, CA
Refering to the compass and video recorder
I know. I was just messing with you.:laugh2:

One feature I am loving is the increased speaker volume. I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth headsets so the fact that the speakerphone is not a struggle to hear is a blessing! Also not found in Cydia...hehe

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
What don't you people understand
it is a completely free upgrade
you may even make money upgrading to 3gs
GO sell your 3g iPhone for 400 and buy the 3gs
then when the new one comes out next year do the same
You never have to spend money out of pocket for an iPhone upgrade
So in that sense, yes it is definitely worth it

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Well, actually, there is a volume booster in Cydia.

Anyway, for me, it's not worth it. I'm tired of selling my soul for another two years to AT&T every time I want a new phone...

I'm moving to the UK.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The 3GS is really more of an upgrade than a new version ... its not the 3rd iPhone, more of 2.5!
But aren't all new versions upgrades of a sort?

Going off on a tangent a bit here, but I'd bet that if the 3GS sported a redesigned exterior, folks would be lauding it for being a major upgrade.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I just checked out the 3GS at the local Apple Store and I wasn't impressed, not enough to spend whatever their charging to upgrade anyway