iPhone 3G to use cheaper (lower quality) iPod LCD

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
It would appear that in a cost cutting move Apple has decided to use the cheaper and lower quality iPod Touch LCD in their new 3G phones.

Apple, in an effort to reach the $199 price point, has substituted into the new 3G iPhone the cheaper, slightly lower quality iPod Touch display rather than the previously used "gold standard" iPhone LCD touch screen.

Now on first glance, specs make you think that the pixel resolution is better on the iPod touches vs iphone- 163ppi (iPod) vs 160ppi (iPhone)-- but pixels aren't the whole story.

As has been well described, the iPod Touch display, while great, is noticeably worse than the iPhone display. (Anyone remember all the complaints on image quality of movies when the iPod Touches first came out? This was fixed, but a discernible difference remains.)

I'm not saying the iPhone 3G is going to be a lousy display, but speaking as someone who owns both iPhone and iPod Touch, there is an absolute degradation in image quality, especially when watching video, on the iPod.
Here's a comparison between the original iPhone screen and the iPod Touch.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/Apple/tested-iphone-screen-better-than-the-ipod-touch-screen-299774.php

Most troublesome is this side-by-side comparison of the two screens in a gray scale test.

Since I watch about 2.5 hours of video a day while I commute on my iPhone, this is an issue for me.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
This doesn't make me happy at all. I was hoping for better resolution, not worse. I might skip getting the 3G iPhone just because of this in hopes that next year they upgrade to a better screen.
Is this confirmed by Apple?

iAddict

Jun 10, 2008
I hope this is just a rumor... I won't be too happy with a downgraded screen from my v1.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I really hope this isn't true. I love the current iPhone for the quality of the screen. Images and video and everything is great on it...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
tharmsen, you have a quote there with no reference. Where did you get it? I go to the link and it mentions nothing of the iPhone 3G, only the Touch.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
tharmsen, you have a quote there with no reference. Where did you get it? I go to the link and it mentions nothing of the iPhone 3G, only the Touch.
It's a quote from another poster from another forum. It's not an official announcement.

Look at the attached images, the LCD specifications for the iPod Touch are identical now to the new 3G on the Apple website. That compared to the original specs of the iPhone V1 (also attached).

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
Well if it isn't a rumor and we have to deal with a little bit lower resolution it is just one more thing that comes with the lower price tag such at the complete plastic case.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Well if it isn't a rumor and we have to deal with a little bit lower resolution it is just one more thing that comes with the lower price tag such at the complete plastic case.
The only thing is, I don't want a cheaper version. I wasn't one of those people bitching about the price of the original. Most people didn't complain either, until the price lowered. Even then, if they sold the current phone for $399 without me having to sign another 2 year contract and without me having to pay AT&T another $10-$15 a month I would gladly pay it.

I don't want plastic on the back and I don't want a lower quality screen. I want high quality visuals (what's the point of having the huge display?) and I want improved audio (which they do claim to have).

If they want to pander to the people who want the absolute cheapest phone they can make, offer two models like they do with their computers. There are plenty, and I do mean plenty of people who would buy the more expensive model just to have the best possible features.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I think everyone is missing the point of the plastic back, it is to increase signal strength, not because it is so much cheaper than aluminum.
With that said, I really hope this is just a rumor. I know the specs for the touch match the 3G but isn't more ppi better?

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
I highly doubt Apple cut any corners to produce the iPhone 3G. The price does not reflect lower quality, it reflects the new policy where a new 2 Year contract is required. Not to mention the higher cost of the required data plan. Apple is just getting their money differently this time around - AT&T is subsidizing the phone and paying out to Apple.

I'm not the least bit worried that the new iPhone 3G will be everything the 1st Gen iPhone is + more. :cool:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I highly doubt Apple cut any corners to produce the iPhone 3G. The price does not reflect lower quality, it reflects the new policy where a new 2 Year contract is required. Not to mention the higher cost of the required data plan. Apple is just getting their money differently this time around - AT&T is subsidizing the phone and paying out to Apple.

I'm not the least bit worried that the new iPhone 3G will be everything the 1st Gen iPhone is + more. :cool:
Optimism is great, even when its blind optimism. :)

The Apple website clearly shows the same specs for the 3G's LCD screen as the iPod Touch. That means in all likelihood they are in fact using the lower quality iPod Touch screen in the 3G.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Well the first time around the phone was completely yours. This time around, you can't just buy a 200 dollar iPhone because they cut corners. This time, if true, they cut corners AND don't let you walk away with the phone.

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
The only thing is, I don't want a cheaper version. I wasn't one of those people bitching about the price of the original. Most people didn't complain either, until the price lowered. Even then, if they sold the current phone for $399 without me having to sign another 2 year contract and without me having to pay AT&T another $10-$15 a month I would gladly pay it.

I don't want plastic on the back and I don't want a lower quality screen. I want high quality visuals (what's the point of having the huge display?) and I want improved audio (which they do claim to have).

If they want to pander to the people who want the absolute cheapest phone they can make, offer two models like they do with their computers. There are plenty, and I do mean plenty of people who would buy the more expensive model just to have the best possible features.
I assure you we are of a like mind on paying more for a better quality phone. The plastic case does not bother me so much as the lower quality "guts" of the phone. I want the best of what is available at the time I make my purchase.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
The three attachments show that the old original iPhone specs posted on their site had the incorrect number (160 ppi). Notice they show that 4GB is still an option. There were other typos on the original specs page too. Also, 160 ppi is a lower resolution, not higher.

I thought I read that Apple did make screen changes in the iPhone over time so it would make sense that you could see variations between models and build dates.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I agree 110%!:laugh2:

Well the first time around the phone was completely yours. This time around, you can't just buy a 200 dollar iPhone because they cut corners. This time, if true, they cut corners AND don't let you walk away with the phone.
Well, if the v1 phone is completely mine, then what is the meaning of the following quote from another thread here:

itsrainingkids said:
The $199- $299 price is subsidised. It only applies to new contracts, customers who are within their upgrade period and people with existing iPhones. The catch for iPhone owners is that they physically need to be in possession of their original iPhone.
I so wish this was not the case but unfortunately it is. I made the ATT rep talk to his supervisor since I had previously gotten bad info.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:mad:
Sincerely,
Colleen
If it is totally mine then they shouldn't have any right to make me have it in possession to upgrade, the fact that I bought it and have a contract should be enough.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Also, 160 ppi is a lower resolution, not higher.
You know that this was not only addressed in the article, but once more in this thread as well, right?

I know the specs for the touch match the 3G but isn't more ppi better?
If you read the linked to article about the iPod Touches LCD screen this question is answered.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/Apple/tested-iphone-screen-better-than-the-ipod-touch-screen-299774.php[/QUOTE]

I'd honestly be surprised if some of you guys actually read half of whats in a thread before responding to it sometimes....

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...nt-to-buy-a-3g-at-the-discounted-price.26065/

They have every right not to offer you a discount that you're not entitled to. Theyre trying to throw v1 owners a bone. You, however, have every right in the world not to buy it.
I am with you that they can make any rules they want and I can make a choice. What I don't understand is that it appears that they will make me have my v1 phone in my possession, but then they don't care what I do with it after I get the 3G. I guess my question is what exactly makes me entitled to the discount? Is it having the original v1 in my possession or having the v1 contract for the past year? If I leave it in my car when I get the new phone will hey make me go back outside and get it just to prove I have not YET sold it? LOL