iPhone 3G to use cheaper (lower quality) iPod LCD

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
This if true along with other discoveries about the 3G iPhone may make the v1 iPhone even more valuable. I wouldn't mind having a $200 backup v1 iPhone just in case something were to happen to mine. No 3G in my area, so will keep v1 for now. Plus I like the cheaper data/text plan.

Anyone ready to sell there v1 for just enough to cover the cost of the new 3G iPhone?

Jim

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I am with you that they can make any rules they want and I can make a choice. What I don't understand is that it appears that they will make me have my v1 phone in my possession, but then they don't care what I do with it after I get the 3G. I guess my question is what exactly makes me entitled to the discount? Is it having the original v1 in my possession or having the v1 contract for the past year? If I leave it in my car when I get the new phone will hey make me go back outside and get it just to prove I have not YET sold it? LOL
:laugh2: That's actually pretty funny. However, this really has nothing to do with whether the v1 iPhone is completely yours or not. You can do with it what you wish. Just like a movie ticket stub. You can leave the theater and you can sell your stub to a late comer, but when you try to walk back in, they won't let you in unless you produce that stub.

Not that the physical possession itsrainingkids is talking about is accurate but it holds no relation to whether your v1 iPhone is truly yours or not.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
y does that picture look like the iPhone vs the iPod touch?

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
y does that picture look like the iPhone vs the iPod touch?
Because that's exactly what it is a picture of.

I hope the screen is every bit as good as the one on the v1. I don't know why they would do this D:

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
this is the current specs on the v1 iPhone from Apple's website that has a date of feb 5 08':
Display
3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi
Support for display of multiple langauges and characters simultaneously

now here are the specs for the v2 iPhone on Apple's site as well:
Display

looks the same to me.... the video specs are the same as well.

Edit:
come to think about it, why would Apple improve the audio, fix the headphone jack issue and throw in metal buttons if they were downgrading hardware.... I dunno, I hope.... expecting this to just be a rumor.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
You know that this was not only addressed in the article, but once more in this thread as well, right?

I'd honestly be surprised if some of you guys actually read half of whats in a thread before responding to it sometimes....
I really must be missing it because I don't see that text in the linked comparison article and I don't see the question answered here.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
this is the current specs on the v1 iPhone from Apple's website that has a date of feb 5 08':
Display
Where are you getting these specs? The current iPhone hasn't been sold for quite a while now and the website only has the 3G specs.

Here's a screen shot of the v1 iPhone specs per the Apple website before being taken down. (see attachment)

Attachments

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Here's a screen shot of the v1 iPhone specs per the Apple website before being taken down. (see attachment)
That's not from before being taken down. That's from even earlier, before they discontinued the 4GB model. Probably much earlier when there were other errors on the new iPhone pages.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That's not from before being taken down. That's from even earlier, before they discontinued the 4GB model. Probably much earlier when there were other errors on the new iPhone pages.
Other "errors"? Interesting. So they corrected accurate information with inaccurate information? Interesting. Do you have screen shots?

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Humm, here's specs from the keynote annoucement of the original iPhone. So you're saying they had the specs right, then botched them later (around feb of '08) then fixed them again?

http://www.mobilewhack.com/handset/Apple_iPhone.html

iPhone Specs:
- Screen size: 3.5 inches
- Screen resolution: 320x480 at 160 ppi
- Input method: Multi-touch

Iphonehead

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
If this is true, I'm gonna pass on this....I'm fine and waiting for it but one of the biggest reasons is because of its unbelievable display. If they downgraded that, no reason to take that big of a hit for it.

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
This isn't even a "rumor" at this point. It has been admitted as someone's speculation.

Apple rarely takes short-cuts like this. It doesn't make sense.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
This isn't even a "rumor" at this point. It has been admitted as someone's speculation.

Apple rarely takes short-cuts like this. It doesn't make sense.
That's why the specs have changed on their website.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Where are you getting these specs? The current iPhone hasn't been sold for quite a while now and the website only has the 3G specs.

you have to dig for them. Go into support on the site and then click on manuals I believe it was and then it gives you the option to look up the specs and manual for v1. Its not on the "iPhone" tab though, that's only 3G info. Its there, just gotta look ;)

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
That's why the specs have changed on their website.
I think far too much importance is being placed on the PPI figure. Look at the math:

480/160 = 3 inches
320/160 = 2 inches
This display would have a diagonal measurement of 3.605"

480/163 = 2.9448" (rounding up)
320/163 = 1.9632" (rounding down)
This display would have a diagonal measurement of 3.539"

The lower is more accurate (measure your V1's display, it is not quite 3X2).

The pixel counts in the specs are accurate (480X320). The PPI and screen size figures given are approximations, since giving the actual figures would be tedious.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Are you saying that screen shot of the v1 specs are from 2/08? I thought they got rid of the 4GB model long before then.

iPhone Specs
The only spec he (and the article he quoted) is citing as having changed is PPI. It is not possible that the iPhone display was *ever* 160 PPI, since at a resolution of 480X320 this would result in a display too large to fit into the viewing are of the iPhone's case.

The real Pixels per unit distance figure is probably a metric value which is much closer to 163 (per INCH) than 160.

The PPI figure is a red herring.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I've been staring at (and measuring) my V1 screen till my eyes are crossed. :p

As near as I can figure, it is right around 2 and 15/16ths of an inch in the longer dimension by 2 inches in the narrower dimension (or in decimal, 2.9375 X 2).

Unless there are non-visible pixels behind the edges the pitch is not uniform in both dimensions. It is 163.4 PPI in the longer dimension and 160 PPI in the shorter one. Therefore one can say it is BOTH 163 PPI and 160 PPI, whichever makes him or her feel better.
:cool:

Specsmanship dictates that Apple quote the higher number, of course.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The more I look at the new 3G version, the more tempting it is to stay with the original.