iPhone 3G upgrade to latest

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

haripatn

Jan 7, 2012
Hi , I am a novice user and I have a iPhone which is unlocked and jailbroken , its iPhone 3G running 2.2 firm ware. I want to upgrade to latest IOS/firmware, so I can install latest apps/games on it. Can any one help me step by step, I am ready to pay for a tool if anything available. I bought it 2 yrs back unlocked on ebay , just used it for other carriers , but never have upgraded os .
Thanks in advance , Harry

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I can only advise you on this, the latest version for the 3G is 4.2.1 and that doesn't even allow you install the latest apps and games, my sisters is a 3GS running 4.3.5 and it doesn't allow you to install the latest.

Sources: my 2nd gen ipod touch is running 4.2.1, and that's the max, so I'm assuming that's the 3G too.

haripatn

Jan 7, 2012
THanks for reply , yeah I am okay to upgrade to 4.2.1 , I want to know the process to upgrade my 3G on 2.2 to 4.2.1 , Do you have the steps for this? (sorry I am not so techy)

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
THanks for reply , yeah I am okay to upgrade to 4.2.1 , I want to know the process to upgrade my 3G on 2.2 to 4.2.1 , Do you have the steps for this? (sorry I am not so techy)
Just plug it into iTunes. Then it will ask to download and update. Do that.

WARNING: This may disrupt your unlock and jailbreak, I am not a whiz about this stuff. Another member will probably assist you further, I just provided the way to update.

haripatn

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks. Yeah true many places I read , using iTunes will lock the phone and un-jailbrk. So there got to be a procedure , can some one please let me know the procedure.

Jan 8, 2012
I have jailbroken and unlocked my phone myself before without using jailbreakme.com. It is difficult but very possible, however, I don't think you will get anyone to explain to you exactly how to do it simply because it's hard and many steps. I can give you some vague information that will help and some advice. Just to note I'm not great with computers and I now know a guy who does everything for me for 20 bucks. If you can find someone like that it's way worth it.

Do NOT upgrade your phone through iTunes. It will not only unjailbreak your phone but will load the latest iOS onto it which would be tethered jailbreak and very difficult to do. You will have to search for a newer firmware and download that to your computer. Through a series of steps you can update your phone with that new firmware. I recommend just getting iOS firmware 4.1. It runs far smoother than any newer firmwares.

I disagree with the fellow that said you need a new phone and the newest firmware. There are some things you may not be able to run and apps that require newer firmware, but you probably won't even notice it. Also, the jailbreak, in my opinion, is far more valuable and important than the few apps that won't run on 4.1. In fact, you may even be able to find the same app that can work on your firmware through xxxxxxxxxx or cydia.

Anyway, in order for you to learn how to upgrade your firmware and rejailbreaking or keeping the jailbreak, I recommend doing some research and find a good YouTube video that has good rating and comments on it working. A reliable website that gives a step by step guide would work too. If you start researching, you will find it.

Good luck! ^_^

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
You need to preserve you baseband to facilitate an Unlock on your 3g iPhone use tools like TinyUmbrella to do this.
Only then can you update to 4.2.1 firmware...then jailbreak with using whatever method you like.... would recommend finding a good YouTube video for you to follow

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
There is the Jailbreak section of eiC that has a TON of info in it & a lot of very smart people that can help out. You can not access it from the app, have to use the full web version.

haripatn

Jan 7, 2012
I can not even install cydia basic apps it says not compatible, so I definitely need to upgrade my iOS from 2.2 to atleast 4.1 , I don't know what do you mean by base band , I see modem firmware is 02.28.00 is that the one? I still not sure how to upgrade my iOS . Is it like any tool I use to upgrade iOS will lock my phone and then I need to unlock using some other s/w? I could not find a youtube video which tells me how to upgrade exactly unlocked/jailbroken 3G 2.2 firmware to latest (at least 4.1) any help pointers is appreciated