iPhone 3G versus iPhone 3GS

T

tekgeeek

I have an iPhone 3G but am currently thinking about upgrading to an iPhone 3GS. I read a comparison of the iPhone 3G vs iPhone 3GS but I'm not really convinced. Has anybody actually used the compass a lot? Does it run a lot faster? And what about the Oleophilic screen? Does your iPhone 3GS not have a lot of smudges?

p09

Jun 30, 2009
Okay, I'll be honest. The voice control and camera are amazing, I use them all the time. The phone itself is DEFINITELY very fast, I'm not sure how much faster though (first time iPhone user). The compass is nice, though I don't know how much you would really use it (I do use it frequently hiking and the such). Video recording is also very nice, especially since you can trim the video right on the phone then upload directly to YouTube. If it's going to cost you $400+ to upgrade, I'd just say wait. Although if you are eligible to upgrade, go for it. I'm definitely happy I purchased my iPhone 3GS.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Compass: I've used it on every road trip where I needed directions. It does help a lot.

Fast: Yes. Absolutely. Shaves off 3-10 seconds off of every task that took at least that long in the old phone, from starting apps to loading pages to switching between pages, even scrolling is smoother.

Oleophobic screen: It resists them a bit, so they don't show up quite as much, but the main trick is that it stays relatively smooth to the touch, and is much easier to clean off. Swipe it on a pant leg or a shirt sleeve, and it's back to pristine.

In my opinion, it's worth the upgrade from the 3G.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I think the speed difference is great. I don't use the compass and I use a screen protector so I can't help with those. The video is very nice. Something else is the 256 ram which leaves between 150 and 160 for me so it takes a long time to drop below 40 which is all the free memory on the 3G. On the 3G every time I turned around it would be below 10 and it would lag or crash programs. Royal pain now gone!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I agree with fury, even if he did make his 1,000th post about the Palm Pre! <ducking>

The 3GS is definitely worth the upgrade, especially for the speed. The lag I often experienced with the 3G is a thing of the past now, whether or not my iPhone is jailbroken. It runs like a hot knife through butter...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
BTW, fury - is tomorrow going to be a Palm Pre day for you, considering all this iPhone exploit hack talk? It might be for me just to be absolutely safe.

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
Faster? Yes, more than double in almost all instances...
Screen? Yes, it resists smudges and is easier to clean...
Memory? Double the memory means less crashes, and less need to reset phone...
Camera? Yes, much better than 3g, with autofocus and much higher quality pics...
Video? Yes, very good video recording capability, while the 3g has none...
Audio? Louder external speaker volume than the 3g as witnessed by many...
Battery? Mine lasts much longer than my old phone...results vary tho

Saints

Bronze
Jul 24, 2009
New Orleans
I am also a new iPhone owner so I cant really comment on the differences between the two, but I just wanted to point out that I have noticed that a few apps use the compass feature. So even if you don't think you will use the compass itself, apps that utilize it would seem worth it to me.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The 3GS really is noticeably faster. I have only goofed around with the compass but I've used the camera and video quite extensively already. I say go for it if you're feeling antsy.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Like one other guy said, if you're eligible for the $199/299 pricing, get it. Otherwise, wait it out.

Joe

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Honestly, is it really faster? I launched a few apps on the 3GS side by side with my 3G at the Apple store. The camera launch was about 1-2 seconds faster. The clock almost the same, though the screen completion on the 3GS was a tad better (meaning the number dial showed up earlier). Didn't see any perceptible difference in Safari. I want to get one. But it didn't scream upgrade to me in my casual comparison.....

Not doubting anyone else, just didn't see it myself, that's all.

That being said, I find the 3G slow for me. And it was significantly worse when jb'ed. I want something that was as fast as my 650 from almost 5 years ago! I'm not talking about network speeds, just the overall system responsiveness.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Honestly, is it really faster? I launched a few apps on the 3GS side by side with my 3G at the Apple store. The camera launch was about 1-2 seconds faster. The clock almost the same, though the screen completion on the 3GS was a tad better (meaning the number dial showed up earlier). Didn't see any perceptible difference in Safari. I want to get one. But it didn't scream upgrade to me in my casual comparison.....

Not doubting anyone else, just didn't see it myself, that's all.

That being said, I find the 3G slow for me. And it was significantly worse when jb'ed. I want something that was as fast as my 650 from almost 5 years ago! I'm not talking about network speeds, just the overall system responsiveness.
The 3GS is much faster when browsing in Safari. For example, the NY Times page takes 40-45 seconds to completely load on my 3G. The same page loads completely on my 3GS in 12-15 seconds. And I love the 30 second bootup time.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
It it was just for the compass I would say no that is the least important feature I think.

As for speed it may not be, but it feels like almost night and day difference between the two phones.

The extra ram helps a ton, I think I have reset my phone 2 times since I got it at launch and that was basically cause I felt like it, I have yet to have to reset it because it locked up or crashed. (knock on wood).

The camera while still not awesome, is a Million times better then the old camera and Video without jailbreaking is nice too.

There is one more thing to think about that doesn't effect anyone now, but supposedly sometime this year AT&T will be rolling out there 7.2 3g network (if your in an area which will get it) and the old 3g cant go to those speeds but the new one can.

The screen, I don't know I only had it uncovered for a few days. I will say I think that the invisible shield doesn't seem to stick as well to the new screen.

If you have to pay the full price and not the upgrade price for the new one I would wait till your eligible (which is earlier then it used to be for most). But if you get the upgrade price I would do it, its worth it.

Not to mention 32gig is NICE, between that and the 20gig in my idisk I can carry most of my content with me. Not all but a lot.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
OP was banned...guessing he wasn't serious :p

Nap: I'm not concerned. It is easy to shut it off in case I get a suspicious text

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
Honestly, is it really faster? I launched a few apps on the 3GS side by side with my 3G at the Apple store. The camera launch was about 1-2 seconds faster. The clock almost the same, though the screen completion on the 3GS was a tad better (meaning the number dial showed up earlier). Didn't see any perceptible difference in Safari.
Of course it's faster! It's got a faster processor and TWICE the memory of the 3G. Overall, everything is much snappier and quicker. You would realize this very quickly with regular use. I still have my old gen 1 lying around and use it occasionally...it is annoyingly slow now that I'm used to the speed of the 3GS. I've hit "update all" with 8 apps to update on both the 3GS and my old 1st gen, and the 3GS took less than 60 seconds while my 1st gen took 3-4 minutes to update all 8! I've got the app "Bloons" which used to suffer from lag and slowdown on the 1st gen...it now runs with NO slowdown whatsoever. Same for the "Peggle" app...it used to slow down considerably while playing. Now it NEVER slows down. The 3GS is absolutely and undeniably faster than the 3G...2x-3x faster in almost all situations...

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Like everyone said...SPEED!

def. noticeable and makes the biggest difference. video and the camera are a nice touch too :)