iPhone 3G while in AT&T contract

CantPutt9

Dec 24, 2007
I signed on with AT&T in October in hopes of getting the iPhone in the future. My wife and I got the basic free phone being offered. Now, after inquring about iPhone, AT&T wants $600 for it. Any way to get the 8gb for $199? Will an Apple store or Wal-Mart sell it to me for $199? Thanks for the help.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The $199 is going to be reserved for people that are either
A) New AT&T customers that sign a new 2-year contract or
B) Current AT&T customers that are eligible for a hardware upgrade discount.

Since you signed on in October it will be at least 18 months before you are allowed to get another hardware discount. This looks to be around April 2010.

pilgore

Mar 29, 2009
actually you can add on the line for 10 bucks more to a family share plan put your old sim into the iPhone to keep the number
(of course switch the data plan onto the existing sim, and get it off the new sim making it basic) and rent out the new sim: phone number to a family member or close friend for 20 bucks a month

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's what I'd do. Add a line for $10 a month for the line and $30 for the data plan, and if you want to keep your old number, swap the SIM cards between the old phone and the iPhone and change the data plan over to the old (SIM) number. That way you're only out $180 for 18 months ($10 a month) and you get to have another phone line to use or let someone else use. The other option is to give AT&T an extra $400 simply to switch from your old phone to an iPhone. You'll save that $180 over the 18 month period, but you'll lose $400 instantly. It's a $220 savings total and you get a second phone line for yourself. When the 18 months is up, drop the other line if you want. It's a no brainer, right?

I'd wait until the summer to do this though. There is probably going to be a new iPhone model released in June or July.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
AT&T did start letting people early upgrade to the 3G iPhone to help clear stock to make room for the next version.

See if you can get someone on AT&T 611 to help you do this.