iPhone 3G WIFI Problem

SnowCoast

Jul 11, 2008
My brand new 16GB iPhone 3G is not using WiFi correctly. At home I only get EDGE connection, and I have a wireless router which is unsecured network. For some reason, my iPhone recognizes the network, and says it connects to it. However, the WiFi icon never appears in the upper left, instead the iPhone stays on EDGE. Safari, everything using internet is still stuck on EDGE speed. When I go into WIFI settings, it has the IP address and Subnet Mask information, but fails to receive the Router address and DNS address, which my Dad's iPod Touch easily does.

It switched to the WiFi icon for about 10 seconds, and then switched back to EDGE. Anyone know what the hell is going on? I've never seen this before with Gen1 iPhones.

SnowCoast

Jul 11, 2008
My brand new 16GB iPhone 3G is not using WiFi correctly. At home I only get EDGE connection, and I have a wireless router which is unsecured network. For some reason, my iPhone recognizes the network, and says it connects to it. However, the WiFi icon never appears in the upper left, instead the iPhone stays on EDGE. Safari, everything using internet is still stuck on EDGE speed. When I go into WIFI settings, it has the IP address and Subnet Mask information, but fails to receive the Router address and DNS address, which my Dad's iPod Touch easily does.

It switched to the WiFi icon for about 10 seconds, and then switched back to EDGE. Anyone know what the hell is going on? I've never seen this before with Gen1 iPhones.
Mods please delete, problem solved and it was a very specific issue concerning my router. Doubt that would help anyone else on the forum.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus

my v1 does the same and im just as clueless. I did notice i had to make it connect to my home wifi a few times to get edge off.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
Mods please delete, problem solved and it was a very specific issue concerning my router. Doubt that would help anyone else on the forum.
Glad its fixed! Did you have to reboot the router?

SnowCoast

Jul 11, 2008
Glad its fixed! Did you have to reboot the router?
That may fix it, however what happened in my case was the router wasn't "issuing" enough IP's, it was generating 192.168.2.5 through 192.168.2.10, and we have enough devices in the home that were using them. So in the router settings we changed the number of ips to go from 192.168.2.5-15, opening up more ip's and then the iPhone could occupy one and be all set from there.

Chessh2036

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
so how exactly do u fix it? mine is doing the same thing