iPhone 3G WiFi vs. wireless

Bluejay

Dec 29, 2008
i have my new iPhone 3g and understand that it will default or use wifi over my "air" wireless internet connection if available. is there a way to tell if the iPhone is connected via wifi or wireless while using it. my concern is that i do a lot of internet during the day, but i'm in a wifi location. the wifi is on and i can see the network, so i'm assuming that i'm connected to that instead of using my wireless. i couldn't see anything on the screen that showed me easily how i was connected.

Thanks!

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
look up on your status bar, if it says 3g then you are connected via 3g (your wireless) and if it has a wifi signal icon you are using that. you can check under settings>wifi and if it has a network there you most likely are connected to that network. sometimes networks do not support PDA's or smartphones and your iPhone will keep trying to reconnect to it and the internet will work like crap (many school networks). remember to turn wifi off if you aren't using it as it drains battery big time.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
remember to turn wifi off if you aren't using it as it drains battery big time.
And I'd say the flip side of that is, if you are bathed in strong wifi most of the day, turn off 3G as it will serve no purpose other than draining the battery. All data connections are coming in on the speedy wifi, so voice calls will still come through on the 2G antenna.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have turned the WiFi on/off to see the "BIG" different...not much!? Now I'll keep my WiFi on, and turn off the 3G...and my battery status is looking fine!