iPhone 3G without data plan

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Is it possible to keep an iPhone 3g and drop the data plan?

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
NO but if you do it anyway, AT&T will charge you 1 cent per kilobyte. The iPhone is using data all the time and your bill will be in the thousands. People are pay $4,000 phone bills trying to get around that data plan. Don't do it, AT&T will charge you.

Nov 27, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Is it possible to keep an iPhone 3g and drop the data plan?
Buying an iPhone 3G with out subscribing to a data plan is sort of like getting a luxury car then saying you want to use it with out any fuel. Not getting the data plan decreases your experience not only limiting what you can do with it but also it dramatically increases your pay per use data usage charges (Canada $0.05/KB). Though here in Canada Rogers at this time doesn't require a customer to subscribe to a data plan though they strongly recommend one. The only requirement here is to subscribe to any voice plan that has a base price of $35.00 or more to get the $50.00 iPhone 3G hardware credit so as to reduce the initial price of $249.00 to $199.00 for the 8GB or from $349.00 to $299.00 for the 16 GB iPhone 3G. The plan is required on a 36 month term though in the USA the term commitment for the iPhone 3G is 24 months. ECF in Canada is $400.00 on the voice plan and $100.00 on the data plan which is also on a 36 month term.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Buying an iPhone 3G with out subscribing to a data plan is sort of like getting a luxury car then saying you want to use it with out any fuel. Not getting the data plan decreases your experience not only limiting what you can do with it but also it dramatically increases your pay per use data usage charges (Canada $0.05/KB). Though here in Canada Rogers at this time doesn't require a customer to subscribe to a data plan though they strongly recommend one. The only requirement here is to subscribe to any voice plan that has a base price of $35.00 or more to get the $50.00 iPhone 3G hardware credit so as to reduce the initial price of $249.00 to $199.00 for the 8GB or from $349.00 to $299.00 for the 16 GB iPhone 3G. The plan is required on a 36 month term though in the USA the term commitment for the iPhone 3G is 24 months. ECF in Canada is $400.00 on the voice plan and $100.00 on the data plan which is also on a 36 month term.
i live in nyc so a data plan is very uncessesary... i have wifi everywhere i go

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
guys...all you gotta do to not incur data charges after cancelling the data plan is jailbreak and install bossprefs. It can disable all EDGE access.

I can understand the reasoning for cancelling the data plan. An Ipod Touch that can make phone calls is still a very useful device.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
guys...all you gotta do to not incur data charges after cancelling the data plan is jailbreak and install bossprefs. It can disable all EDGE access.

I can understand the reasoning for cancelling the data plan. An Ipod Touch that can make phone calls is still a very useful device.
yes thats what i did for v1 iPhone, and i just ordered the 3g iPhone and want to do the same.. but a few questions..

is BossPrefs available on the 3G iPhone yet?

BTW What would you tell them when you want to cancel the data plan? If I tell them I want to cancel the data plan because I lost the iPhone, wouldn't they just cancel my service? What's the right way to do this?

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Hey iCafe do you already have a 3G or do you want to buy one? If you already have one you could just call AT&T and ask them to cancel your data plan. I'm not sure if it will work but it's worth a try.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
yes thats what i did for v1 iPhone, and i just ordered the 3g iPhone and want to do the same.. but a few questions..

is BossPrefs available on the 3G iPhone yet?

BTW What would you tell them when you want to cancel the data plan? If I tell them I want to cancel the data plan because I lost the iPhone, wouldn't they just cancel my service? What's the right way to do this?
Yes jailbreaking with pwnage or winpwn will automatically give you bosspreffs and you can do it for the 3G (however, the new 2.0.1 version is not jailbreakable at the moment, it should be within a matter of days, week at the most).

To answer your other question, I'm not sure what you should try. Officially they aren't supposed to cancel the data plan for any excuse except if you are switching to a different phone and they will be able to detect whether you actually do or not.

Your best bet might be to put your sim card in a normal cell phone so AT&T can detect you aren't using the iPhone anymore and then call in and cancel the data plan (any excuse for why should work like you lost your iPhone or sold it or gave it away or it broke, etc.) and then move the sim card back into the iPhone after it's canceled.

But there is a possibility they may detect the iPhone back in use and throw the data plan back on. This is where I can only guess as to what would happen, and the only way to know would be to try.

I don't see what you could lose for trying, they won't try to charge or fine you for any of that. Worse case scenario is you are back where you started.

**Disclaimer, I haven't done any of this, I've only done a bit of researching so I could possibly do it in the future for myself or my brother so please don't take everything as proven fact, just the best of my knowledge.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Yes jailbreaking with pwnage or winpwn will automatically give you bosspreffs and you can do it for the 3G (however, the new 2.0.1 version is not jailbreakable at the moment, it should be within a matter of days, week at the most).

To answer your other question, I'm not sure what you should try. Officially they aren't supposed to cancel the data plan for any excuse except if you are switching to a different phone and they will be able to detect whether you actually do or not.

Your best bet might be to put your sim card in a normal cell phone so AT&T can detect you aren't using the iPhone anymore and then call in and cancel the data plan (any excuse for why should work like you lost your iPhone or sold it or gave it away or it broke, etc.) and then move the sim card back into the iPhone after it's canceled.

But there is a possibility they may detect the iPhone back in use and throw the data plan back on. This is where I can only guess as to what would happen, and the only way to know would be to try.

I don't see what you could lose for trying, they won't try to charge or fine you for any of that. Worse case scenario is you are back where you started.

**Disclaimer, I haven't done any of this, I've only done a bit of researching so I could possibly do it in the future for myself or my brother so please don't take everything as proven fact, just the best of my knowledge.
Can the iPhone 3G be activated through jailbreak? I mean if I take out the sim card from the iPhone 3g and then put it in another phone and cancel data plan, wouldn't the iPhone 3g require u to activate through iTunes again (which will require u to sign up for data plan again..)

or does anyone know any other way i can ask them to cancel it? will this work?

take any old phone you have that has texting capability, copy its IMEI# down, and switch your iPhone's IMEI with that. The carrier will think you have a (insert phone brand here) and you will be good to go!

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You can't really activate the iPhone instore without a data plan. Buying a sim empty phone on ebay is a different story.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
You can't really activate the iPhone instore without a data plan. Buying a sim empty phone on ebay is a different story.
yes, of course, but the question can you DROP it later? I mean.. HOW can you drop it later?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Can you really drop it? I always thought you can't.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Aenti is right. If I were you and wanted to have a phone that wasn't activated, your best bet is just buying one right off of eBay or craigslist.

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
but isn't there a took out now that can activate it? i could have sworn there was..?

Haruk

Jul 7, 2008
maybe because you can't use an ipod as a phone?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You can, it just needs to be jailbroken. Similar to the iCall idea. Use wifi and a VOIP app to call. Only thing is you need a special attachment.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Thats my fault, I did not see that he said data plan, I do not know why that thought phone plan.