iPhone 3G won't charge or sync?

Sep 2, 2009
HELP ME! My iPhone 3g not charging or syncing! Please! Ok, my iPhone was working fine until after i put in an extended battery, so i thought it was the battery, so i put in the original, still nothing?! now it wont charge or get recognized by iTunes tried different ports, other computers, nothing! it will ONLY charge in DFU mode?! I wanted to do a restore through the iPhone, but there is no "reset all settings and delete all content"?

There is only the "reset home screen layout"? I'm stuck! How can i fix this issue? It's not the charging port because i tried another board and it was charging and syncing fine? I hope its not a hardware problem!

Last edited by a moderator:

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Hmmm, sounds like since you opened up the phone yourself and changed the battery that you can't take it to the Apple store because you shot your warranty. Other than that since it won't sync your can't restore it. I guess you are screwed.

I am guessing you screwed something up when you took apart the phone. Are you sure everything is hooked back up correctly?

Djeazie

Sep 24, 2009
I had the same problem a few weeks back. I called Apple support and they straightened me out. I had to force my phone to be recognized by iTunes. I think they had me hold the home button for 30 seconds while I plugged my phone into my computer. I had iTunes running when I did that and whola! It worked.

Sep 2, 2009
i put the phone back right, i even tried another board and that one charges and syncs? basically i think its a sofywsre issue, because it charges but doesn't show it until u reboot then the battery goes up?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There are not too many people on this forum that take the phone apart, so answers are not going to be pouring in.

Sep 2, 2009
come on guys i just need some help thats all...juls1585! that was like a month ago! and no one replied!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
What I was trying to tell you is that there are a very limited number of people on here tha might know some hardware stuff, but the majority of us don't mess with the internal hardware.

Sep 2, 2009
all i need now is a way to restore the phone...if thats a good idea, because the phone is working fine, it just cant connect to a pc but everything else works fine. But anyways, i was thinking is there a way to restore the phone, other than iTunes or the phone "reset" menu because they only thing there is " restore home screen layout"? So is there another way? Like a command thtough terminal app on the iPhone?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
all i need now is a way to restore the phone...if thats a good idea, because the phone is working fine, it just cant connect to a pc but everything else works fine. But anyways, i was thinking is there a way to restore the phone, other than iTunes or the phone "reset" menu because they only thing there is " restore home screen layout"? So is there another way? Like a command thtough terminal app on the iPhone?
I usually won't refer to another site - but check out modmyi.com. There people mod their phones quite heavily, and you might be able to get a hardware answer. Your other option might be to log into twitter and ask erica sadun. If she takes the time to reply, she'd know command line/terminal commands to help you out.