iPhone 3G won't hold charge

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
Once every 2 or 3 weeks, I find my battery is waaaaay low early in the morning -- though I charged my iPhone before going to bed. It's not jailbroken, and I don't have any weird apps on it. The rest of the time, it holds the charge fine. Any ideas?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Other than a defective battery, if the battery is that low, your device could be clearly sending/receiving data. What check rate is your mail application set to?

I don't know if this applies to the iPhone, but my 3G Verizon Wireless phones constantly query the network to find the EVDO (3G) network. If the signal is poor, my experience has been that I'll wake up and find my phones out of power.

After charging, reset the device to turn off applications and put the device into Airplane mode.

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
THANKS. The mail is set to "check manually," and whenever I'm done charging, I click the Wake/Sleep button -- so it shouldn't be searching for a signal, right?

And why would this happen only once every 2-3 weeks, instead of constantly? It's always in the same spot at night, in my bedroom...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'd say you have a defective battery. If you have it in the dock all night, it should be fully charged in the morning, despite what kind of data was being received/sent.

I once left mine, which was down to 10% battery, in the dock all night without locking it -screen on - and it was fully charged in the morning. I would take it to Apple.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think you might have a probably with your dock. Are you sure you're using the iPhone dock that came with the phone? Sometimes people have these problems with the iPod cables. They seem to drain the battery instead of charge them.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
My phone charges to full battery in like 3 hours. No reason to leave it over night.
But then again I have never let it get less then 1/4 full.

Also charging using the a/c power adapter is way faster than the usb to the computer.

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
I may not have been clear -- I use the dock and a/c power adapter to fully charge the iPhone BEFORE going to bed, then take it out of the dock. The running-down to low occurs when it is OUT of the dock, overnight, seemingly not on for any reason -- and it only happens very occasionally.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I may not have been clear -- I use the dock and a/c power adapter to fully charge the iPhone BEFORE going to bed, then take it out of the dock. The running-down to low occurs when it is OUT of the dock, overnight, seemingly not on for any reason -- and it only happens very occasionally.
Do you lose the charge with the phone powered off or just put to sleep?