iPhone 3G works only in half-duplex with Bluetooth

Aug 28, 2008
Has anyone noticed that when using a BT headset, there are circumstances under which the call is only half-duplex?

I typically only use bluetooth and find that if the person i am talking to is speaking then i can not speak over them - as if the mic sensitivity drops to almost zero when the other party is talking. Now, this is not a real problem unless one always wants to talk over someone (useful sometimes ;-)), BUT if the person i am talking to is in a high ambient noise environment, like say i call my wife while she is driving - then my mic sensitivity drops and she can barely hear me. If i switch to the phone, it's fine, but switch back to the BT headset, and she cant hear me.

I am running 2.0.1 firmware, and have confirmed the problem with many different headsets, including the Jawbone 2.
I also experimented on my buddy's new iPhone - same problem.

Anyone notice this?

thanks

Aug 28, 2008
hey, come on, someone must have noticed this problem? Surely I'm not the only one!

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I think this is a combination of bluetooth and cellular. I have noticed for years that this type of situation accurs when on a cell phone conversation without a headset. True full duplex will be severly altered depending on conditions IMO