iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 to iOS 5 Process?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by madchanson, Nov 2, 2011.

1. madchanson

madchanson New Member

I bought an iPhone 3gs 4.3.3 FW 05.11.07 that is jailbroken already, i don't know if it was jailbroken through custom IPSW or jailbreakme.com (is there a way to know what jailbreak was used in your iPhone?) Now i was wondering if ever the untethered IOS 5 comes out, what will be the upgrading and jailbreaking process.

just wondering so that i'll have an idea what to do, i don't wanna mess up my phone.

thanks in advance.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Do you require an unlock? If you don't you will be able to update your iOS and re-jailbreak when the un-tether is available.

Does your 3GS have the new or old bootrom? If it has the old bootrom, you can update to iOS 5 now and re-jailbreak un-tethered.

I don't think there is a way of determining which tool was used to jailbreak your particular device.

3. madchanson

madchanson New Member

hi warrior, yes i require an unlock. i saw Ultrasn0w in the cydia packages. i think mine would be a new bootroom. i bought mine in Shanghai jailbroken already :) but it's new.

4. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You will have to use custom firmware to preserve your baseband when upgrading. When the un-tethered jailbreak is released check back here and there will be a guide waiting for you :)

5. madchanson

madchanson New Member

thanks sir! bookmarked :D

also i have a friend who bought an ipad 2 from the official Applestore. i managed to jailbreak it using jailbreakme.com
    will it be the same process? or he can just upgrade directly from iTunes then jailbreakme again?

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'm assuming the iPad 2 is on 4.3.3. The following iOS firmware releases fixed/blocked the jailbreak with which jailbreakme worked. That type of jailbreak is a userland jailbreak, hopefully it'll be as simple as jailbreakme. There are other tools out there like Greenpois0n, Sn0wbreeze, Pwnage Tool or Redsn0w. Greenpois0n is/was an easy jailbreak, the other tools like Redsn0w require a little more user interaction, though. I prefer Redsn0w because it's always given me bug free jailbreaks.

7. madchanson

madchanson New Member

oh okay. if so happened that we upgrade the ipad2 through iTunes will we get any errors like error 3194 or any other errors?

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you haven't modified your hosts file you shouldn't see any errors. I wouldn't recommend updating your devices iOS when it's currently jailbroken. I've always found that it's better to restore to the latest iOS (if jailbreakable) and then jailbreak. But if you do require an unlock you will need to use custom firmware to preserve your baseband. That's the difficult thing with jailbreaks as there are that many different options to consider.

9. madchanson

madchanson New Member

okay thanks. i will wait until the untethered jailbreak comes out and check back here.

tyvm