iPhone 3GS FW 3.0 "Restore Needed" Help?

Aug 1, 2009
I have an iPhone 3GS that was never jailbroken/unlocked. I bought it the day they came out, and have never dropped it in water, or even dropped it on the ground. It's in perfect condition.

Last night I took my iPhone out of my pocket and it had a notification saying " Restore Needed iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore from iTunes."

I went home and hooked up the iPhone to my computer. iTunes didn't even recognize it, and nothing happened. I then decided to put it into DFU mode and hook it up to the computer. It then recognized it and came up with this:

I clicked OK and then clicked restore ( by the way, I have the most recent iTunes 8.2.1 ) and it starts to restore the iPhone to the 3.0.1 FW and looks like this:

Then once it is done "Extracting software", it comes up with the error:

I don't know what else to try. I have tried other iTunes versions, shift + restore to use other firmwares, turning off my antivirus and firewall, 2 computers, my USB ports are all 2.0.

I have searched in forums all day and have found nothing to help.
My iPhone is stuck in the emergency only setting ( wont let me enter my passcode or anything. ) :mad:

So any help is much appreciated, thanks.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Did you try a hard reset on the phone?

Aug 1, 2009
Did you try a hard reset on the phone?
By holding the power and home button at the same time? That was one of the first things i tried. I also tried another sim card, and without a sim card. None helped.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try restoring using a different USB cable. I was getting error after error a few weeks ago and eventually isolated it to that. Before that, I tried everything including uninstalling iTunes, multiple computers, safe mode, redownloading the FW multiple times, different USB ports etc.

Aug 1, 2009
I've tried 2 other USB cables, they didn't help either. :dft005:frazzled

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
don't know if it will help, but try this. Specifically steps 9-12. It might kick it back into gear for you.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice that it couldnt finish the restore before you got the error

Aug 1, 2009
don't know if it will help, but try this. Specifically steps 9-12. It might kick it back into gear for you.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't notice that it couldnt finish the restore before you got the error

Well im going to try the 9-12 anyways, its already not working, so I don't think that it will hurt to try it haha. I'll post back in a minute with what happens

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If Kuntry's suggestion doesn't work, you might want to take it in to Apple for a replacement. It sounds like you've tried everything and I'm thinging there is likely a hardware problem. The initial crash while it was just sitting in your pocket is kind of pointing to that. I've actually never heard of that happening.

Good Luck with it !

Aug 1, 2009
Well im going to try the 9-12 anyways, its already not working, so I don't think that it will hurt to try it haha. I'll post back in a minute with what happens
I tried those steps and nothing happened at all, my iPhone just stayed in the DFU mode with the picture of the USB connected to iTunes.

and the: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2430 didn't work either. I tried everything, including checking in services.msc and devmgmt.msc.

I did make an appointment for monday at the Apple store, but I need my iPhone for my e-mail on the go and i use the GPS everyday. So if I can, im trying to find a way to fix it before monday. ( I'm not looking forward to the hour and a half drive to the Apple store either ) hah

Aug 1, 2009
Also, I was wondering if there was anyway for me to see the files on my iPhone to maybe copy them to my computer? Or even maybe some software that's out to where I can enter my passcode on the computer to unlock it?
idk, just some thoughts.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Was it jailbroken? If not, then no. If so, then you could try and see if iPhoneBrowser (PC) or Diskaid (Mac) will recognize it, and if it does, copy the files.

Aug 1, 2009
na, it wasn't jailbroken. damn.
It sucks not seeing anything on the internet about this, or any solution. I assume it hasn't happened too much. When I called Apple support, the guy on the phone even used the word "damn" after I told him everything I had tried haha. How the hell is a non jailbroken, never been dropped, 1 month old iPhone have such an impossible problem over my last 1 year old jailbroken 2g!?!

I guess I just didn't know my pocket was just a too intense environment for a 3Gs.:D

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
na, it wasn't jailbroken. damn.
It sucks not seeing anything on the internet about this, or any solution. I assume it hasn't happened too much. When I called Apple support, the guy on the phone even used the word "damn" after I told him everything I had tried haha. How the hell is a non jailbroken, never been dropped, 1 month old iPhone have such an impossible problem over my last 1 year old jailbroken 2g!?!

I guess I just didn't know my pocket was just a too intense environment for a 3Gs.:D
I would try DiskAid, as Europa suggested. The only thing is, if you werent Jailbroken, then you can only access the media folder which contains pictures, music, etc. That is if DiskAid recognizes the phone.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I've had my phone bricked most of the day too and it too was not broken or JB'd. It sort of makes you think that we should do it just to be able to fix them when they do have something go wrong:dft008:surprised

Well mine at least is working now after many hours....

PS: my Apple store is farther away than yours. Check for Apple stores close to Clovis, NM ;)

Aug 1, 2009
See, I installed diskaid, and it said I needed to put in the passcode on my iPhone to see the files. Well, while in emergency only screen, its quite difficult to enter the passcode haha. thanks though

Well mine at least is working now after many hours....
What did you do to get it working?
I know there has to be someway to get this thing to restore/work.

imjohnwu

Aug 10, 2009
iPhone restore not working error 32

I'm having the same exact issues as you. And tried restore process using 2 different systems. Did you ever have your problem resolved by Apple Support? I'm going in this Tuesday for support.

Aug 1, 2009
I didn't find a way to fix it. I came to the conclusion that if this happens, you better plan on making a trip to the Apple store hah. After waiting hours in the Apple store ( longg story) The genius bar couldn't fix it so they traded out my old phone for a new one.

imjohnwu

Aug 10, 2009
I didn't find a way to fix it. I came to the conclusion that if this happens, you better plan on making a trip to the Apple store hah. After waiting hours in the Apple store ( longg story) The genius bar couldn't fix it so they traded out my old phone for a new one.

I didn't find a solution either. I actually went back to BestBuy and showed them how to do the restore process. The Geek Squad had no clue. Error 23 came up and they swapped out the phone for me too.

Jul 14, 2008
My 3G S did exactly the same thing on Friday morning. It was jailbroken and I had no problems for over a month. I woke up Friday and pressed the home button to see the time and there was the message that a restore was needed just like others here.

I did notice there was no longer 3G, no edge, no wifi and no bluetooth. All these options were greyed out in settings.

I was able to erase all content and settings and that put the phone in a constant Apple logo for several minutes, reboot, Apple logo, reboot, Apple logo reboot over and over. At least it can't load up to see that it was jailbroken.

Same iTunes unable to restore error 23. I have an appointment tonight at the Apple Store to get it replaced.