iPhone 3GS GPS tracking

the watcher

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Hey guys i was watching one the news a guy got his iPhone 3gs stolen, and he used google maps and the iPhone gps to tracking it down anyone out there know how he did that, use google maps to track his iPhone

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Unless something has changed (which I doubt Apple would allow), this a feature of Mobile Me, and it requires a yearly subscription.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
MobileMe does this. You can activate the Find My iPhone feature when adding a MobileMe account to the phone. Basically it requires location services to be switched on, and polls the iPhone for its location about every 15 minutes and stores that info up in the cloud for you to get at through me.com in the account page. You can also have it display a message on the phone and sound an alarm, and get live GPS updates with integrated Google maps once you are at that page. The wipe function is a handy last resort if you know there's no way to get the phone back, at least they won't have your email, contacts, texts, etc. At that point you'd no longer be able to track it or send a message, but the phone can still be used with your number if you don't call your carrier to report it.