iPhone 3GS High-Def Video Capable

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK

iPhone Playing 1080p at 30Mbps

Back in April it was rumored that the next iPhone (current iPhone 3GS) would be capable and enabled to play true HD video in 720p and 1080i to your television via the Apple Composite AV cable. When it was finally released the iPhone 3GS still played video like its predecessors only supporting SD 2.5Mbps Mpeg 4 or H264 video.

As things turn out this is an arbitrary limit set by Apple possibly to conserve battery life or to simply match previous models.

A user of chinese site WeiPhone did a lot of testing with the iPhone 3GS and discovered it can smoothly play back HD video at 30 Mbps in 1980x1080 resolution. The test was done by uploading various HD movies to the iPhone 3GS using the program FileAid and then running them via the iPhones built-in video player.

Not that this has any real usage in everyday life since HD video doesn't have much of a point on the small iPhone screen. You could however pick up one of those Apple Composite AV cables and run some high-def from iPhone to TV if you REALLY needed (?) to.

weiPhone via ilounge

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Can you even transmit HD video over a standard composite video cable? I thought coax or HDMI was required.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
As things turn out this is an arbitrary limit set by Apple possibly to conserve battery life or to simply match previous models.
This sounds like Apple. Many times they do things to help users protect themselves from themselves (we would be too stupid or complain that playing HD video might deplete battery life... there IS something called a power cable.)

I did hear the same thing, although HD movie playing really takes a great deal of power.