iPhone 3GS Hong Kong

iAM

Aug 14, 2009
I have this issue, I bought an iPhone 3Gs from the Apple online store in Hong Kong and since the Apple online store in Hong Kong don't ship outside Hong Kong I gave them a local address of a acquaintance of mine they can ship it to. So far so good.
But now I need to ship the iPhone to the Caribbean and none of the express shippers TNT, Fedex etc. would ship it without a so called MSDS (material safety data sheet). They say they can ship it as standard goods only if I disconnect the battery from the phone, otherwise it needs to be shipped as "dangerous goods" because of the Lithium-ion battery! this is a international requirement.
Disconnecting the battery is not an option in this case.
Has anyone come across this problem or has a MSDS for the iPhone, I already emailed Apple but as expected no response.
I don't know anyone traveling shortly from Hong Kong to my country either.
Any suggestion anyone?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I found this with MSDS info on Apple products, but it doesn't list the iPhone.

Give me a few minutes, I'm going to do a live chat with an Apple rep and see if I can find it for you.

Good move buying it in HK though, that's a factory unlocked phone you have, so you'll never have to worry about the hassle of software unlocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

iAM

Aug 14, 2009
Thank you Europa, yeah I found some MSDS on Apple also but for printers etc, none for the iPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm on hold waiting for an Apple tech support rep right now, I'll let you know what they say.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The rep didn't know, so I'm on hold again waiting while he tries to find it.
He said you won't be able to use the phone outside HK, but that's not true, lol. AFAIK, all phones sold in HK are factory unlocked and will just work with any SIM, but even if it was locked, you could always software unlock it with ultrasn0w.

So, you live in the Caribbean and want to use it with a local GSM carrier there, correct?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Lol, I've been on the phone with Apple for 35 minutes now. He has been unable to find the MSDS, but right now he's speaking with US customs trying to get it...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, after speaking with US customs, he said that it is not necessary to include an MSDS with shipments of iPhones from the US to foreign countries. It sounds like the HK customs laws are different though. He said you'll need to contact HK customs or HK Apple support. Anyway, he was never able to find the MSDS.

Here's what I suggest, try emailing this MSDS to your friend and see if the carrier will accept it. http://www.tek.com/Measurement/Service/msds/01914600.pdf
The iPhone uses a Lithium Ion Polymer battery (Li-ion). Even though these batteries are made by various companies, they use the same materials. So any Li-ion MSDS should work.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck !

iAM

Aug 14, 2009
Many thanks for your help Europa.
I bought it in Hong Kong because it's factory unlocked yes!
I have a 3G software unlocked (ultrasnow) but was getting tired of that cat and mouse game, on top of that there's push now and software unlocked ones don't seem to play well with push so...
In Hong Kong it's against the law to lock you to a pecific carier, hence the fact that Apple needs to sell it's phones unlocked there ;-)
But any ways thanks for your help again and Ill give it a try with the link you send me!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You're welcome :)
I'm pretty sure that MSDS will work.

Once you find out, update this thread and let us know if it worked.

iAM

Aug 14, 2009
Will do that!
Thank you.

iAM

Aug 14, 2009
Hi Europa,

This MSDS I came across already on the internet, and it's of no use to me because.. quote:

All lithium batteries are exempt from the DOT Hazardous Materials Subchapter as long as they are separated to prevent short circuits and packed in strong packing for conditions normally encountered in transportation.
Effective January 1, 2003, all lithium batteries are regulated as a Hazardous Material by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) if you transport more than 24 cells or 12 batteries in a single package. These must be transported in accordance with the requirements of Special Provision "A45".

Effective January 1, 2004, all lithium batteries will be regulated as Hazardous Material by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) if you transport more than 24 cells or 12 batteries in a single package. These will have to be transported in accordance with the requirements of Special Provisions 188 and 230.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not sure what you mean. You don't think that MSDS will work?

US customs doesn't require it, but apparantly HK does, so you might still need it.

iAM

Aug 14, 2009
Ok the thing is as I understand from TNT and Fedex is that they cannot ship it from Hong Kong because the iPhone's battery is not disconnected from the phone in the box as all other GSM/Mobile phones when you buy them, and they cannot ship it that way. So it's either disconnect the battery from the phone to prevent a possible short circuit as the MSDS clearly demands or provide a MSDS from Apple or the lithium-ion battery manufacturer that its ok to ship the iPhone fully assembled and that there is no risk of short circuiting involved.
I never knew of these regulations also till now. Come to think about it Apple is the only one who sells his phones like that :-(
TNT can ship the iPhone but the need to ship it as "dangerous goods" and it's a lot more expensive like that.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It will be more expensive to ship as dangerous goods, but there is really no alternative other than removing the battery, and that's a PITA. There's a good chance that FedEx will accept that MSDS that I linked. Have your friend print it and take it to them and check.

The Apple Rep couldn't even find out who the actual manufacturer is, so I doubt FedEx in HK is going to press the issue and say that is not the manufacturer (because as we know it is not easy to find who the actual manufacturer is, so how are they going to know?) Apple isn't the battery manufacturer so it shouldn't need to say Apple. Honestly, I think they'll be happy with anything that says Li-Ion.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
You could always mail the phone with something else.

Ill deff be buying my next iPhone when i get back to HK. Im so sick of the cat n mouse with Dev team and Apple worrying about updates, etc.

jeh1412

Sep 24, 2009
I am going to Hong Kong for ten days next month and really want to buy an iPhone. How can I do this? It seems like the only way is to order it on line? or can I walk into a store and just buy one? Help?!

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Question about these unlocked ones you buy from diffrent countries.

If they break will Apple fix them under warranty in your country even though it was bought from a diffrent country?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am going to Hong Kong for ten days next month and really want to buy an iPhone. How can I do this? It seems like the only way is to order it on line? or can I walk into a store and just buy one? Help?!
Ok here's the deal. If you buy one from a any carrier in Hong Kong, it will be factory locked. However, if you buy one from HongKongApple.com, it will be factory unlocked. They only ship to Hong Kong addresses though. Do you know someone in HK so you can have it shipped to their house? It will cost about $811 US dollars (IIRC).

Question about these unlocked ones you buy from diffrent countries.

If they break will Apple fix them under warranty in your country even though it was bought from a diffrent country?
I'm not sure on that.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Lol, I've been on the phone with Apple for 35 minutes now. He has been unable to find the MSDS, but right now he's speaking with US customs trying to get it...
Damn, do you work? LOL :sneaky:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Damn, do you work? LOL :sneaky:
Why, because I went so far out of my way to help a stranger? :)
But yeah, I do work. 37 hours a week at the hospital (three 12.5 hour shifts).