iPhone 3GS is not charging!

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by miphonequest, Oct 22, 2009.

1. miphonequest

miphonequest New Member

my iPhone 3gs show the "charging" icon in the battery indicator but the battery is actually not charging. tried all sorts of charging through pc/wall socket. just not working.

I was using a car charger, belkin fm transmitter suddenly it restarted itself after an hour in belkin. Now its dead cant charge or open.

my question is! could it be short circuit? if short circuit would the phone still operate on the battery until it drains out?

2. Co-Mau

Co-Mau New Member

Sounds like the phone itself. You should still have Apple support on the phone. All you have to do is take it into your local Apple store and then talk to a Genius and the Genius Bar. They will help you with everything. Most likely you will be walking out with a brand new battery in your phone. Or a new iPhone if your lucky enough..

3. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

Car charging with the 3GS is also a little misleading. Unless your charging via a cigarette lighter, you may not be getting the correct power to the phone.

I know personally that in my car, although the charging symbol shows the iPhone doesn't charge unless i plug it into a cig lighter and USB.

4. Tug

Tug Member
    Silver

If it's not charging I don't think I'd give it to much concern, contact AT&T tell them about the problem and get a new phone.

5. Murdomac

Murdomac New Member

I would be interested in what model iPhone you have, I'm now on my third new handset in as many months, both the privious ones (32mb 3gs) died whille tring to charge them.

The 1st handset I had got really, really hot before it died.

I think there was a bad batch of phones or batteries, but had no trouble exchanging them.

6. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I would take it to Apple and see what they say.

7. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

My 3GS will not charge. The home button doesn't work, when someone calls me, I can hear them but they can't hear me. It's jb on 4.1 with limerain. Should I take it to Apple?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

8. gibby71

gibby71 Member
    Silver

sounds like your iPhone is toasted. Can you do I restore on it? I would try that before taking it into Apple.

9. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

Its not toasted because it still allows me to use it and send messages etc, I just can't use my home button, it wont charge and if im on a call the person on the other end can't hear me. But |I can still hear them.

As far as restoring it goes, how am i supposed to do that when it won't allow me to connect my phone to its charger or the pc using usb. It was perfectly ok when i left my boyfriends brothers on new years eve.

10. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

If you take it to Apple you have to do a restore. They won't touch a jailbroken phone and if they do, they're going to charge you for it because the warranty was voided when you jailbroke it.

11. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I can't restore it though because its not connecting to the computer...i've tried everything.

12. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Is it possible that it's the cable you are using? I know that my iPhone 4 cable stopped charging my phone and now I use an aftermarket one.

13. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

no because i tried it with my original usb and it still wont work...i was charging it with an aftermarket non original charger.

14. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Honestly, I'm not well-versed enough in "troubleshooting" jailbroken phones. This is why I don't jailbreak. With my luck, something like this would happen and I wouldn't know what to do. Right now, I think your best bet is to wait until someone with more knowledge signs on and answers your plea. I'm sure there are multiple people on this forum that will have better ideas.

15. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

How long is the warranty valid for though? It might be out of warranty.

16. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

I *think* it's a year....and then Apple Care will add another year if you bought that. I'm not really sure what happens when you bring a jailbroken phone into the Apple Store. I know that when I had issues with my jailbroken phone, I restored it first. Again, maybe someone else here has more knowledge of this.

17. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

It's out of warranty then, I have had it 14months. Didn't buy it from Apple, got from an orange shop in the uk.

18. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

Well then, do what you feel is the right thing to do. I have given my advice which is to wait a bit until someone with more knowledge answers your question with maybe a fix. But you seem to be ready to head to the Apple Store, so it's your phone, do what you will with it.

19. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I just wish it hadn't picked now to decide to **** up...

20. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

No matter when it decided to do it, it wouldn't be convenient. We're too reliant on our phones....and I'm just as guilty of this. If my phone died, I think I might die with it. hahahahaha