iPhone 3GS is not charging!

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Not really. I speak Italian. Hahaha
Oh che bello oggi e' già la seconda persona che ho scoperto qui nel forum che parla italiano, pensavo ero il solo .
Well now that we got THAT out of the way haha

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
No problem pink, at least some of us take the time to actually learn another langauge!

@flwr, correct I see you did your homework 

Benny, thanks for that comment. I didn't think savage's grammar was up to scratch tbh. Especially after re-reading his reply. Sorry savage but, that's just my view.

BrendonSc

Bronze
Aug 12, 2010
Nah it's not the jailbreak. You have major hardware issues. If it's not in warranty then your SOL but have you tried putting in DFU mode? If not do that and restore. It sounds like you dumped a glass of water on it. My buddy had the same issue but the the water got to the screen.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Oh che bello oggi e' già la seconda persona che ho scoperto qui nel forum che parla italiano, pensavo ero il solo .
Well now that we got THAT out of the way haha

Can piece that together from the context and my rudimentary french and spanish. Nice that about latin.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Nah it's not the jailbreak. You have major hardware issues. If it's not in warranty then your SOL but have you tried putting in DFU mode? If not do that and restore. It sounds like you dumped a glass of water on it. My buddy had the same issue but the the water got to the screen.
Why do people always assume that it either got wet, was dropped, or is releated to the jailbreak? It is possible for it to start malfunctioning even though the user hasn't caused any apparent damage.

She's not SOL. Apple has already replaced it, free of charge, even though it was jailbroken and out of warranty.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
Why do people always assume that it either got wet, was dropped, or is releated to the jailbreak? It is possible for it to start malfunctioning even though the user hasn't caused any apparent damage.

She's not SOL. Apple has already replaced it, free of charge, even though it was jailbroken and out of warranty.
Thanks Europa. It is possible for anything electronic to malfunction even if it hasn't been dropped, got wet etc. Can you delete this thread now for me please...getting fed up of it.

Jimmythebo

Feb 26, 2011
My I phone 3 gs will not hold charge.recently the phone was turning off all of the time and only way to re boot was to plug in to charger

I have changed battery and now phone says it's connected buy not charging.

I put a different charger on and it shows charging symbol but has only charged 4% in 36 hours

Help is motherboard fried?or does phone need a software update?it wad jail breaked 8 months ago

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Try the software update to the current version (4.2.1) If that doesn't solve it, and you have tried a number of different power outlets and cables, you might be screwed.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Apple tries to wash off their hands for any problem after 90 days. Or will charge you for any instance.

Absolutely untrue. I have never experienced better customer service. Even if I have 1 day left on my 365 day warranty and a genius can't repair the fault it's swapped out for a replacement.

Unless if course there is water damage

Shauneen

Oct 30, 2011
Hi boyfriend bought me iPhone 3GS. Updated it last night but now will not charge when connected to the wall doc or when hooked up to laptop or comPuter, it now just pops up saying 'charging is not supported with this accessory' Help?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Are you using the charger and sync cable that came with that phone? If I remember the 3GS was when Apple made changes to the charging port and some if not all older charging devices did not worK.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
If you didn't get the accessories with the phone, head to an Apple Store and get the new wall charger. The box will list all the models supported.

Dec 4, 2011
Hi there,
I have an iPhone 3GS, it is not charging when i connect to pc or to power.
I have tried to change the USB cable, change the adapter, but nothing worked.

Also I've noticed that when I connect another iPhone to pc, it charges and then i connect my iPhone to the same cable it is not working, then when i connect again another iPhone after i connected mine, it is not charging. I have to restart the pc to charge another iPhone again.

Any help pleasezz :)

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
First try the hard restart, and then I would say takeout to an Apple store and let them look at it because if you can't even get it to connect you won't even be able to do a factory restore. Make an appointment at the Apple genius center.

PhoenixLament

Bronze
Apr 26, 2008
Alright, so heres the specs:

Phone: iPhone 3gs
Version: 5.1 (9B176)

So recently I upgraded my iPhone 3gs to the above listed ios, and have been noticing an increasing problem with my phone when it comes to charging. Before, I would occasionally get the following error:
8-4-10-notsupported.jpg?w=510

Normally I could just wiggle the cord a bit, and it would begin working. In extreme cases, I would find the cord was bent up pretty badly or the wiring was exposed so I buy new cords. Happens every 3 months, but no big deal, I just get a pack of 5 or so off ebay whenever this happens.

Now however, I can't plugin the phone and charge from any of my chargers, unless plugged to my desktop or this super old cord i dug up last night. The phone toggles between saying charging not supported, charging and showing no indication of being plugged in every half second or so.

The old cord I dug up has yet to give me this error even once. The only notable difference is this cord snaps into the phone and you have to press on both sides to release the cord, while the other cords are the typical insert and remove.

I've been researching the problem for the past few hours and have come across a few solutions.

The first being set the phone to airplane mode, and charging will resume no problem. That failed.

Second: set the phone to airplane mode, turn phone off, plug charger in. charging works and phone turns on. Nope.

Third: disable wifi: nope. no fix.

I'm wondering what can i do to solve this problem, short of giving in and buying the iPhone 4s.

Help?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Are you buying third-party cables or official Apple cables? The third-party cables are sometimes, 'not fit for pirpose' and you will see an error.

Another option is to connect your device via any cable and perform a hard-reset. This can be done by holding both the power and home button, release when you see the White Apple logo.