iPhone 3GS journey

so guys basically what you are looking at are cracks that came in my 4th 3gs... I purchased my 3gs on i-day and went with the 16gig white one... since then i have had 4 3gs and i will be on my 5th once i receive it in the mail... 3 of the 3gs' i received back from Apple were not new in box they were in a small black box and those came damaged with cracks and heaphone jack problems... I don't have my 3gs as of now since Apple hasn't shipped it out yet... My last 3gs that you see is the one they sent new in box and the very first 3gs i bought from Apple had cracks as well... This last time i contacted Apple their reply was that next time (if the 3gs they send me this time is damaged) they will ship me a black 3gs... my response, if i wanted a black 3gs in the first place, i would have got one... i want a white one that is not damaged. I believe if Apple knows the white 3gs are having issues with cracking, they should make a formal announcement. They should not bypass this situation by giving owners of white 3gs' black 3gs' so all you white 3gs owners be sure to check your phone out and make sure you don't have any cracks, and if you do... take it to Apple. i do not live near an Apple store so i have to send my damaged 3gs into Apple and once they receive it, then they ship out my new one...

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
man that stinks... sorry to hear about the problems. It is too bad you don't live near one because I would get another one and make sure it was up to snuff before I left.

I wouldn't take the black one, that's ridiculous that they're even offering that.

Good Luck

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
my 3G white has always done that in the exact same places as hers. I hope they make an iPhone Pro with aluminum to prevent this from happening

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Ouch. I ought to thank my lucky stars my phone has no cracks and I live only 45 minutes away from an Apple store.

If I were you, seeing how many times they've botched it up, I'd start demanding they send you the phone first so you don't have to keep being without the iPhone.

Sorry to hear that Arielle. I think it has always been an issue with the white. My 3G developed a crack in the back and I waited until a week before the 3G S release to request a replacement. They did it and I was able to sell it as *mint* on eBay for $420. I hope they take care of you.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
That sucks. The nerve of them telling you to get a black 3gs. If you wanted black you would have gotten black. Idiots!

I hope they get this crap together. Possibly make a bigger stink and suggest tot hen to float you an iTunes gift card for your troubles. Maybe $25 would be a fair amount. I'm just saying, they've got to do something for you besides send phone after phone that cracks instantly or is already cracked.

Just a thought.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Sounds to me like the white plastic is softer for some reason...

Perhaps the coloring process.

Just keep asking for a replacement...or call the corporate offices...6 returns should get their attention.

UpTheIrons

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
You might try what this guy did with Applecare to get a new phone instead of refurbished phones. However, his problem was with always getting phones with light leakage or dead pixels. I think he had to upgrade to the 32 GB phone, though.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
He spent over ten minutes in this video talking about dust, light leaks, pixel problems, and getting refurbs. Bottom line is, if refurbs won't satisfy you, let them know and they will do what it takes to make you happy, even if that means sending you a new unit.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Got my white 3Gs on i-day too. Got an "incase" cover on the same day. As usual (had V1 and G3 before), I haven't been very kind to it. Dropped it a few times. I throw it in my giant purse every morning. But cracks? Do you guys use a protective case?

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I've had a white 3g and now a white 3gs - even with a case, I had to return my 3g three times for cracks and I never dropped it or abused it. There is something wrong with the plastic- so far I don't have any cracks on the 3gs.

He spent over ten minutes in this video talking about dust, light leaks, pixel problems, and getting refurbs. Bottom line is, if refurbs won't satisfy you, let them know and they will do what it takes to make you happy, even if that means sending you a new unit.
the last two phones Apple has sent me have been new in box and right out of the box... they were damaged as was the very first phone i received on i-day.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
the last two phones Apple has sent me have been new in box and right out of the box... they were damaged as was the very first phone i received on i-day.
What are the odds of getting 3 new phones with cracks right out of the box! Can't beat the customer service though. At least they are trying to make things right.