iPhone 3GS keeps shutting off...PLEASE HELP ME!

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by STAY-LU, Oct 31, 2011.

1. STAY-LU

STAY-LU New Member

I've had my iPhone 3GS for a little over a year, bought it RIGHT before the 4 came out (grrr!) and within the last month....it just shuts off whenever it wants to. It started when I noticed that the battery percentage was below 50% and whenever I used my Facebook app. NOW.....it does it whenever I open an app, send an email, on a phone call......WHENEVER IT FEELS LIKE IT! It is so aggravating. When I go to turn it back on, sometimes its instant and other time it can take 5 minutes to come back on. Another thing is...it will NOT turn off if it is on the charger. Im thinking about taking it to Apple but I know they are going to instruct me to get a new phone all together. PLEASE HELP!

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

If you're still under warranty you need to take it in to Apple. There is definitely a problem. An Apple Genius will run a diagnostic to find out what the problem is. It sounds like your battery is a quitter.

Don't worry so much about getting another phone, this one isn't working and you have to find out what the problem is. If you don't want another phone and they suggest for you to either buy one or they swap it out you are not obligated to switch it out or buy another phone.

Just take it in. You do have to have a Genius appointment first though. Go to the Apple web site and look for a store in your area. Better yet, call Apple 1-888-659-5840 and speak to a Tech rep. They can open a ticket for you and find an Apple store in your area and set up a Genius Appointment for you.

Give them a call and get this taken care of, it sounds horrible. This same thing happened to my husband's 3GS and it was the battery. He has since gotten a 4S.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you're out of warranty, rebooting the phone daily can help and if that doesn't clear the problem you could always restore to stock firmware. Hard-resetting the phone can help greatly as well - this can be done by holding down both the home buttons and powers buttons at the same time. Release both buttons when you see the white Apple logo.

Hope this helps.

4. STAY-LU

STAY-LU New Member

I scheduled an appointment with Apple, although they asked me if I updated to the new iOS 5.0 yet. I told them no because I have tried to at least 6 times so far. Every time, it starts backing my phone up and then an error message shows and says that an error occurred while trying to back up and can contune with the update but that I might lose everything on my iPhone. I've already had to go through this once and start over FROM SCRATCH because it deleted EVERYTHING. Such a pain in the you know what...any other ideas?

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Like what has ready been mentioned, try a hard reset/reboot by holding down the sleep and home buttons together, ignore the slide to power off screen. Just keep holding them down until you see the Apple logo. Let them both go. You won't loose any data, etc... This is just a complete power down and restart of the phone.
    If that doesn't work, try a restore. Just in case, Always sync it first.

6. STAY-LU

STAY-LU New Member

THE EXACT ERROR MESSAGE IS:

'An error occurred while backing up this iPhone (-37).
    Would you like to continue to update this iPhone?
    Continuing will result in the loss of all contents on this iPhone.'

WTF.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Are you trying to restore on a computer which isn't linked to your iTunes account?

8. STAY-LU

STAY-LU New Member

Nope.....it's the only computer that is linked to my account :(

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

With your device connected to your computer, launch iTunes and right-click on the device in the left-hand column of iTunes. Now click on the transfer purchases button. Let your device sync and on completion try and restore.