iPhone 3GS Speakerphone distortion

Sep 29, 2009
Hello,
I have had my phone for about two weeks now and so far I love it.
Unfortunately, soon after I got it I started having problems with the speakerphone - when playing music at maximum volume most songs sound very distorted, almost like the speaker is blown out when there is bass or strong vocals. Distortion on some is minimal while woth others is so severe I have to reduce the volume to 60 70 percents.
Also, would like to know if the speaker is hermetically sealed and is it safe to clean it using compressed air sprayed directky into the speaker's hole.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You can spray it gently with canned air, but the distortion at full volume will continue. The amp in the speaker is just more powerful than the speaker itself. If you want to play music through the speaker at high volume, I recommend the the "bass reducer" EQ option in the iPod settings. It will allow you to crank it louder with less distortion.

Sep 29, 2009
So, this is a common issue with the 3gs? I am afraid I could have damaged the speaker by tapping its hole while playing loud or blowing air into it.

Sep 29, 2009
Maybe it's just a placebo effect but after hard restart of the phone (by holding both Home and Power buttons) the distortion in most songs is much less, and those songs that had most distortion now sound a bit nicer with the same volume level. Also, I have noticed that even with the volume slider set to half or even less some songs sound very distorted, and it is very unlikely that the problem is with the speaker.
What is the chance for some software issue, and some issue with the amplifier for the speakerphone ?
Thanks kindly for any kind of cooperation by a fellow iPhone user in Eastern Europe (Bulgaria)