iPhone 3GS, stuck at restore. What to do?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
My iPhone is stuck in "Connect to iTunes" mode. It had a tethered jailbreak. I tried connecting and re-jailbreaking with Blackra1n, but no luck. I don't have my files stored on Cydia since I just got my phone today, it still said "request pending" on Cydia when I last saw it. I tried downloading 3.1.2 and doing a custom restore using option+restore on iTunes but it gave me an error.

Any thoughts?

Thank you :)

bparkerson04

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Have you tried putting the phone into DFU mode and then restoring? DFU stands for Download Firmware Update. You are putting your phone into recovery mode when putting your phone into DFU mode. To do this, do the following:

With your phone plugged into your computer, hold down the power button and home button on your phone for exactly 10 seconds. After ten seconds has passed, release the power button, but continue to hold down the home button. After another ten or so seconds, a message should appear on your computer telling you that it has found a device in recovery mode. iTunes at this point should recognize your phone, and tell you that in order to use the the phone, you need to restore it. Restore the phone to backup if you have one, and if not, restore to new. This might fix your issue. Please keep us updated. Good luck.

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Here's what I have got so far,

If I update, I would go to 3.1.3 and loose the jailbreak since it's a new phone with the updated baseband. I had asked Cydia to back up my SHSH files. But, I checked using Umbrella that Cydia backed up files for 3.1.3, I suspect that is because Apple has stopped signing 3.1.2. Now there is no way to get my 3.1.2 SHSH files hence I can't use Cydia's servers to downgrade.

Am I screwed?

shadowkillaz

Mar 7, 2009
I had this problem after jaibreaking with blackra1n on 3.1.2 (on iPhone 3gs). I was stuck in recovery mode (connect to iTunes) and could not restore using custom firmware 3.1.2. Apple does not allow users to restore 3.1.2 and that's why you'll get the iTunes error. I tried 3.1.3 custom firmwares but iTunes still gave me an error.

My problem was solved by running blackra1n, but the problem is, every time i turn off the iPhone, the phone will boot in recovery mode. I haven't found the solution yet but the problem is because of the 3gs's new boot rom.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had this problem after jaibreaking with blackra1n on 3.1.2 (on iPhone 3gs). I was stuck in recovery mode (connect to iTunes) and could not restore using custom firmware 3.1.2. Apple does not allow users to restore 3.1.2 and that's why you'll get the iTunes error. I tried 3.1.3 custom firmwares but iTunes still gave me an error.

My problem was solved by running blackra1n, but the problem is, every time i turn off the iPhone, the phone will boot in recovery mode. I haven't found the solution yet but the problem is because of the 3gs's new boot rom.
There is no solution to this. You have a tethered jailbreak. You have to rejailbreak every time you reboot.

manoman

Dec 2, 2009
when in DFU mode hold option and restore and locate the 3.1.2 file. try that it might work not totally sure

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
when in DFU mode hold option and restore and locate the 3.1.2 file. try that it might work not totally sure
Doesn't work. From what I understand unless you knew to save on a special server (Saurik) then there is no way to have the 3.1.2 image validate for the restore. Right now my phone is a brick until I can figure out what to do.

udaman

Feb 18, 2010

shadowkillaz,

My iPhone (3GS new bootroom) was get stuck in the DFU mode while restoring custom 3.1.2 firmware.
What did you really do to solve the problem using blackra1n?

Thanks,

jocreative

Nov 29, 2007
I am having this same freakin problem. My iPhone 3GS suddenly went into "Connect to iTunes" mode. I ran BlackRain, and it just kept going into a loop. I then tried to redo stutff with redsnow, and that threw my iPhone into a DFU loop now.... My phone is totally blacked out, and in DFU mode.
I tried to do a restore through iTunes using custom IPSW but it gives me "Unknown error 1600" :( I was on 3.1.2 firmware.
Now I don't know what to do and my phone is totally bricked. Please help.