iPhone 3GS unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by NNJZ, Jan 2, 2011.

1. NNJZ

NNJZ New Member

Hello,

I just bought a used iPhone 3GS over craigslist a few days ago. The phone initially turned on, and I jailbroke and unlocked it on 4.2.1 using 06.15.00 (iPad firmware).

The phone worked great until I let the battery die completely today. I tried charging it using the USB cable and the wall outlet adapter, but the screen remained unresponsive. It doesn't turn on or charge.

Holding the power button does nothing, not even flash the red battery symbol with the lightning bolt that usually pops up when the battery is dead. It just does nothing.

So, I tried connecting it to my laptop via USB. It isn't recognized by iTunes or my computer, nor is the device driver loaded (checked device manager - no Apple Driver under USB Devices). And of course, the phone does not charge.

Incidentally, while searching for a solution, I left my iPhone connected. It remained unresponsive, but when I picked it up, the back of the phone was warm like it had been charging.

The phone is out of warranty, so what could I do? Is the phone broken (a hardware issue?), a software issue, or something else? (It would be great to blame the usb cable, but that doesn't explain why the red battery symbol doesn't show on screen when I press the power button).

Any help would be appreciated!
    NNJZ

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Try holding down home + power for at maximum 20 seconds. Try that and report back in

3. NNJZ

NNJZ New Member

No such luck =/.

The phone is still playing brick.

4. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

Try to plug your iPhone through USB than restart the computer. It helped when I fixed my father in law unresponsive unit he got off craigslist.

5. NNJZ

NNJZ New Member

Just tried that.. still no response.

6. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

How many months of warranty are you out?

7. Romanov

Romanov New Member

Well if it's jb and ul then completely since these void the warranty. And he bought it from someone so it would be under that persons name and not theirs.

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Turn your computer off, plug in your phone, now while holding the home button turn your computer on and don't let go of the home button, open iTunes and wait till in your phone home screen says connect to iTunes, let go of the home button and do a restore.
    If your phone is hot its charging but something as bricked it.
    Good luck

9. NNJZ

NNJZ New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but the phone is still not turning on, or responding at all.

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Thats weird, sorry to hear that, I can't think of what else it could be, wish I was more of a help.

11. NNJZ

NNJZ New Member

That alright, I appreicate the effort nonetheless!

A user at another forum suggested the battery was completely dead - IE no longer able to hold a charge. If this were the case.. would the battery still get warm? Could there be a disconnect somewhere between the battery and the battery contacts to power the phone?

(Im justy trying to think in terms of hardware damage if I were to get this fixed)

12. NNJZ

NNJZ New Member

Im hoping ^ is the problem. In any case, Im going to replace the battery and see what happens. In the mean time...

I understand that the iPhone ships out with a 1150mAh battery. I also understand that the 1600mAh batteries sold online are usually sub par quality (and eve have shorter battery lives and few battery cycles than the original 1150mAh none).

I want to get the most out of this phone, so I would like to replace the battery with a high quality battery, preferably 1600mAh (or better) if possible. I know there are several listings online, but most are from china or another Asian country, and is usually sub par (read: lead paint in children's toys).

Is there any high quality battery (rated better than the 1150mAh one shipped out with the phone) that I could buy to replace with the phone, that is known to be good quality?

(if not, anyone know where I can buy an original iPhone 3gs - Apple brand- battery for cheap?)

Thanks,
    NNJZ

P.S. - Where the hell is the "Thanks" button? Im trying to give Thank the people that helped me..

13. The Apple

The Apple Zealot
    Gold

$10 for this part swap. That is all you have to lose at this point.

14. stevenhugo

stevenhugo Guest

I think the device driver loaded (checked device manager - no Apple Driver under USB Devices). And of course, the phone does not charge.

15. George Vassiliades

George Vassiliades New Member

i am having exactly the same problem since last night. In my case i noticed that once i plugged one of my charger cables it gave me an error that that was not the right charging hardware. Then it heated up significantly so i am wandering if somehow it got "burned"... mine is also jailbroken and out of warranty. How do u open it to replace the battery? I tried various charging cables and a tv dock. When on the tv dock the button of the dock turned red but i still got an error message on the tv saying to check the connection so obviously it is not able to receive any charge. Thanks in advance for your assistance...

16. Devin Wesley

Devin Wesley New Member

I'm having a similar issue, only my iPhone isn't jail broken and i didn't let the battery die or try to charge it.. it just randomly became unresponsive!

17. unkokennyv_87

unkokennyv_87 New Member

If you used a newer iPhone 3gs, and unlocked it with the ipad firmware, ive been told by tech experts who replaced the motherboard in an iPhone 4 I bought, your phone will be bricked and theres almost no way of coming back from that.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This thread is more than two years old. But no, using the iPad's baseband didn't brick them. We helped lots of people get them restored on this forum a couple years back when that method was still being used.