iPhone 3GS Upgrade?

Kameron

Sep 29, 2009
Hello, all!
I'm new to this "forum".
I have the Original, 2G iPhone, and was looking into upgrading to the 3GS.
I had the original iPhone since release day, and upgraded to the 3G recently, until it cracked, and It eventually stopped working, taking me back to the beloved Edge speed. My contract expires in 2010, but I am willing to upgrade to the 3GS for the full price. [$400] Can anyone tell me, as a user of the 3GS, reasons to upgrade? There wasn't that much of a difference when I went to the 3G, comparing it to my First Generation iPhone. Can you help me on my decision? Thank you! :eek:k:eek:k

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I've had both the 3G and now the 3GS and there is tons of difference.
1) it's so much faster loading apps and web pages due to the faster processor, twice the ram, and better video handling
2) With twice the ram it's really hard to crash a program like on the 3G it was nothing for me to get the ram below 10 MB and then crash
3) Higher resolution camera
4) Video recording

I'm sure others will have more but let's just say my wife has my old 3G and whenever I load something for her or mess with it its slowness is painful!:eek:k:eek:k

KevJD

Bronze
Aug 30, 2008
Well, here ya go.....

-Faster processor. Apps install, load, and run much faster. Safari has been souped up and pages load quite a bit faster. The overall experience with the phone is much snappier...

-Double the system memory. This is a BLESSING! No more app crashing. You don't have to reset the phone daily to free up extra memory. Apps perform much better...

-Much better camera optics/higher megapixels with autofocus capability...

-Video recording...

-Compass...

-Longer battery life, for most people anyhow... :sneaky:

-Louder speaker volume...

-Smudge resistant coating on the screen...

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I agree with the above posts, the iPhone 3GS is just a much better machine overall ... I am very impressed with it.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Yeah but worth $400? or $600 if you are not eligible for a partial upgrade? Just for a phone? I mean, does your edge phone still send texts and make calls? No way am I spending that much on an upgrade to a perfectly good phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
With my V1 iPhone, ever since 2.0 and apps came along, I was aware of lag. Not even compared to anything else... just intrinsically. Things felt slow. I do not get this feeling with the 3GS no matter what task I throw at it. The 3GS feels like an iPhone should, in my opinion.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Krunk to each his own. The OP is not satisfied with an edge phone and is willing to pay the full price. OP wants to know what differences there are between the phones not just get one or don't get one. So if you're a 3GS owner and say no then by all means be specific and say why. If you don't have a 3GS then you really can't answer his question.