iPhone 3GS video length when sending to email?

Veetus

Aug 11, 2009
What is the maximum length for a video to be when sent from an iPhone 3GS to an email? Is it one minute? I think it is, but I thought I'd ask the "experts".

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's around a minute. It depends on what your filming, as the compression efficiency varies depending on your material.

Mar 2, 2009
California
Isn't the file size different for different e-mail accounts? Some only allow a certain amount of MBs to be sent.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think the 3gs limits to around 4.5 megs currently, although the 3.1 beta allows you to cut and paste uncompressed videos into an email up to 15 MB I believe.

Veetus

Aug 11, 2009
Ahh so it is a file size thing, not a video length thing. Reason I thought it was length, because that is what it was on my Verizon LG enV phone.

Thanks for the clarification. But yeah, it seems like most of my videos I try to send that are longer than one minute in length get denied so to speak.

Veetus

Aug 11, 2009
I suppose I could also ask: Is there a way to see the file size of your videos?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Ahh so it is a file size thing, not a video length thing. Reason I thought it was length, because that is what it was on my Verizon LG enV phone.

Thanks for the clarification. But yeah, it seems like most of my videos I try to send that are longer than one minute in length get denied so to speak.
It is a length as much as a size thing (no pun intended). In my experiment, when I try to e-mail videos longer than 47 secs, a warning comes up: "Video Too Long To Send. Would you like to select a smaller clip from this video to email"? Tap "OK", and the video, by default, is trimmed to 47 secs and compressed to a size that varies between 4.6 - 4.7 MB. So even if your ISP or e-mail server allows attachments bigger than 4.7 MB, it appears that the trimmed video is stilled limited to ~4.7 MB.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I suppose I could also ask: Is there a way to see the file size of your videos?
Before you e-mail the video? Not at this time. The iPhone video editting tool, if one can call it that, is pretty barebone. Maybe there is or will be an AppStore or JB app that will fill this niche.

Veetus

Aug 11, 2009
Ok good cause I have hotmail and was thinking of switching to gmail but you're saying it's not a email thing it's an iPhone thing.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Ok good cause I have hotmail and was thinking of switching to gmail but you're saying it's not a email thing it's an iPhone thing.
Correct. And I got similar results on POP and IMAP email addresses.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
What's dumb is you can upload any size file to youtube, but you can't email any size file.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll repeat... 3.1 takes care of this. As long as your video is under 15MB, you can copy and paste it (without lossy recompression) into an email.