iPhone 3GS wont start and iTunes will not recognize it

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by TrevorG'93, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TrevorG'93

TrevorG'93 New Member

Hello, I have gotten a iPhone 3gs. It is not new, and the person who gave it to me told me that it would not connect to iTunes, and that it wouldn't start up. (It stays on the Apple logo), I have tried connecting it to iTunes to try to restore it but again, it will not connect to iTunes and my computer will not even recognize it. If you can help me with my problem it will be greatly appreciated!

2. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

Does it turn on and show the plug into iTunes screen?

3. TrevorG'93

TrevorG'93 New Member

Only if you hold the power button then the home button but when I go to plug it in the computer wont recognize it and neither will iTunes

4. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Did you try DFU mode?

5. TrevorG'93

TrevorG'93 New Member

I don't know how to do that, its just that the phone wont turn on at all and the it will not connect to computer so if theres a way to do that with out doing either turning it on or connecting it then im game

6. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

7. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

DFU or Device Firmware Upgrade mode allows all devices to be restored from any state so before you put it into DFU mode, make sure your iPhone is connected to your computer and make sure you have the firmware you want to inject into your iPhone.

Here is the website to get your firmware:
    http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Here is a YouTube video showing you how to do DFU mode:

If you are having issues on the how to, this website link will tell you step by step to rectify your problem:
    http://theiPhonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=DFU_Mode

8. TrevorG'93

TrevorG'93 New Member

Thank you, its appreciated, but, I do that and iTunes wont come up and say there is a device in Recovery Mode so what should I do?

9. TrevorG'93

TrevorG'93 New Member

I also have another iPhone 3G which i currently use on a regular basis. Could I perhaps remove the motherboard out of that one and put it in the iPhone 3GS?

10. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Do the process again, as in DFU mode but this time have iTunes open on your desktop. Once you put your iPhone 3GS into DFU mode, the screen on your iPhone 3GS should be black and there will be a pop up message in iTunes saying that it's in recovery mode. Once it's in state, press the shift button on your keyboard then click on the restore button in iTunes. Look for the firmware you downloaded on the felixbruns website and load it.

11. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

No, do not do that. I have tried that and it does not work.

12. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Update me on how it's going