iPhone 4 / 4s Steve Jobs Backplate

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Oh and btw people, Apple have screwed us all again. The custom drivers from last year do not fit the 4S's screws. They have made the screw slot smaller. Nice one Apple. No video tonight.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
On my order it says it includes a Philips #00 a d the pentalobe(?) screw drivers. Looking at the bottom of my 4s they have a star appearance. My order is still about 2 weeks out, I can't offer much more help than that.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
On my order it says it includes a Philips #00 a d the pentalobe(?) screw drivers. Looking at the bottom of my 4s they have a star appearance. My order is still about 2 weeks out, I can't offer much more help than that.
Can you cancel the order? This backplate is shockingly crap. 1mm gap along the top of the device and it doesn't even fit properly. Not to mention the crap lense and no flash diffuser. The flash and camera also don't line up properly.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Oh and btw people, Apple have screwed us all again. The custom drivers from last year do not fit the 4S's screws. They have made the screw slot smaller. Nice one Apple. No video tonight.
Isn't this backplate for the iPhone 4? If so, it won't work with the 4S. The connections are different. Even the GSM and CDMA iPhone 4 backplates are slightly different. iFixit did a teardown of the 4S. The Pentalobular screws are the same as the ones on the late-model iPhone 4. I've heard that they switched from the standard Phillips screws that were used in the early-model iPhone 4 (first few months of production) because they didn't want people to profit from making white backplates before the official white iPhone 4 was released. You'll need a 5-point Pentalobe screwdriver and a 4S backplate.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Isn't this backplate for the iPhone 4? If so, it won't work with the 4S. The connections are different. Even the GSM and CDMA iPhone 4 backplates are slightly different. iFixit did a teardown of the 4S. The Pentalobular screws are the same as the ones on the late-model iPhone 4. I've heard that they switched from the standard Phillips screws that were used in the early-model iPhone 4 (first few months of production) because they didn't want people to profit from making white backplates before the official white iPhone 4 was released. You'll need a 5-point Pentalobe screwdriver and a 4S backplate.
No. The seller specified the 4S and said it would not fit the 4. I am very disappointed and I am getting a refund. If any of you can cancel your order. Do it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. The seller specified the 4S and said it would not fit the 4. I am very disappointed and I am getting a refund. If any of you can cancel your order. Do it.
Yeah, it sounds like they lied through their teeth. iFixit still doesn't have 4S backplates available. A good quality OEM backplate is going to cost you around $80.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Yeah, it sounds like they lied through their teeth. iFixit still doesn't have 4S backplates available. A good quality OEM backplate is going to cost you around $80.
It's not OEM though. It's a custom plate. Looking at the fixings it is EXACTLY the same as my OEM 4S panel. It's just a poorly made piece of crap.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Got an email saying my backplanes are finally in the USA. Jersey right now, so maybe Monday or Tuesday delivery?

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
Got mine in today! It looks awesome! The quality is great and it fits perfectly. I do t see a problem with the camera lens like another post said. Here's a pic of the backplate and one take with the new backplate installed. It even included the screwdriver!

Verizon iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Attachments

Reactions: RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Got mine in today! It looks awesome! The quality is great and it fits perfectly. I do t see a problem with the camera lens like another post said. Here's a pic of the backplate and one take with the new backplate installed. It even included the screwdriver!
Aarrgghh! I'm stuck on duty at the FD and they attempted to deliver mine. Gotta pic them up tomorrow.

Badfishy: glad you got yours and it seems to fit well! Looking forward to picking mine up in the am.

Misie

Bronze
Jun 14, 2010
Louisiana

I got mine in yesterday but haven't attempted anything yet. Is it hard to change out? I've changed screens on all iPhones except the 4 and 4s. So not sure if it's easy or not. Btw it looks nice.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
I got mine in yesterday but haven't attempted anything yet. Is it hard to change out? I've changed screens on all iPhones except the 4 and 4s. So not sure if it's easy or not. Btw it looks nice.
It's simple and takes about 5 minutes. Just unscrew the 2 screws with the provided screwdriver, slide the backplate toward the top of the phone about 1 inch until it stops, then lift it away from the phone. Reverse steps to install new backplate. Just make sure the 3 hooks on the bottom line up by putting a little pressure on the bottom when reinstalling.

Make sure to put the tiny screws somewhere safe when you take them off. They are tiny!

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
RRRGGHHH! Even as excited as I was to get the package, I opened it very cautiously... Packaging was very secure, using foam and packing tape etc... I slowly cut open the first little
Package to find:
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321366908.342734.jpg

The black one is in great shape, but now I get to see how their return policy works for the white one. Major sad face right now. :( :( :(
I'll post more photos later and do a little review for everyone.

Badfishy

Contributor
Bronze
May 17, 2011
Houston, Texas
RRRGGHHH! Even as excited as I was to get the package, I opened it very cautiously... Packaging was very secure, using foam and packing tape etc... I slowly cut open the first little
Package to find:View attachment 17890

The black one is in great shape, but now I get to see how their return policy works for the white one. Major sad face right now. :( :( :(
I'll post more photos later and do a little review for everyone.
Man, that sucks

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I waited too long and now the black ones for the 4s are out of stock. :( I'm on the waiting list, notification via email.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Review time:
Package arrived in perfect condition, bubblewrap type package. Inside were two bubblewrap pieces of Styrofoam with the back plates inside enclosed. Kinda of what I would expect for something that is glass.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321396740.040233.jpg

Also included were the screwdriver(s) that you need. 1 Phillips (didn't need this one) and 1 pentalobe style.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321396839.208920.jpg

You may have seen that the white one was broken sometime in transit, but the black one was in perfect shape.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321396922.090348.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321396966.881858.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe1321397047.948376.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe1321397073.855320.jpg
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321397131.131670.jpg

The white one seems to have more of a matte finish compared to the glossy on the black one. But they both look amazing, minus the cracks of course.
Installation was so easy, I thought for sure something was wrong. Unscrew the 2 TINY screws on the bottom and when I say small, people I mean these things are tiny! I suggest putting down a towel or tack cloth because if they bounce and fall, they will be lost forever (even more so than the elusive missing sock in the dryer).
Press down slightly and slide the entire back towards the top until it stops, not even 1/2 inch, then carefuly lift off the old Original back plate. Put this away for safe keeping and if you need to take your device on for repair or something, CHANGE IT BACK or you will never see your custom plate again I bet.
Put new back on, sliding it towards the bottom with just a tad bit of downward pressure, not much... It's glass people. (see photos of the white one for what could happen, if it wasn't already taken care of for you in shipping!) Now the tricky part: getting those tiny screws back on place! The provided screwdrivers are magnetic tipped... Nice idea in theory, but the screws appear to be stainless.... Hmmm that doesn't work to well now does it? Oh well, nice thought though :D
After a few fumbles each one dropped in place and not into the 30pin connector slot. Now THAT would have been ugly huh? -shudder- tighten the screws and Tada.... A beautiful tribute back plate is on your iPhone 4s.
To be honest, of you read this entire review thoroughly, you could have probably installed 2 back plates already. It IS that easy folks.
I am still awaiting direction from the company on how we / they are going to handle the return & replacement of the broken white back.
Now the other really sad part...?... My phone stays in an Otterbox, for now, so I loose all of the wording.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321398429.970413.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this little review.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Did I mention in the review just how tiny the screws were?
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321398925.988121.jpg

Finished product prior to going back into hiding in the Otterbox.
ImageUploadedByiCafe1321398976.289893.jpg