iPhone 4 (4s) VS. HTC.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I can appreciate the OP's earnest question. Hopefully OP is also asking same on an Android forum. Any question on a particular platform/device's forum is of course going to get an influx of positive opinion about that product. And because this is an iPhone forum, yes, someone griping about iPhone and saying Android is better, well, yes, of course it will invoke the concern of possible "trolling". As long as there are no personal insults, oh well, people can have opinions. But we do all know often the iOS vs Android thing is played out, over and over and over again. So asking here, iPhone users will supply opinions to that effect, but also hopefully identify what they actually like which can help the OP determine what is good about each device and then plug that information into OP's particular needs/wants to make an informed decision. I have no issue with a healthy pros/cons, and even as an iPhone user, sure, there are some things I wouldn't mind, as I am sure is the case with anyone else. None are deal breakers for if they were, I wouldn't be a person who has had every iPhone version from day one. The iPhone is not 100% perfect, but for me it sure is close enough that I won't consider changing anytime soon, otherwise I would do just that.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
As an Android and iOS user, I have to make you aware that Android is not open source to the consumer. It's open to the carrier/manufacturer. After the Carrier/manufacturer is finished messing with the OS, they close it up before putting it out on the market. Yes, Android allows you to customize more than iOS out of the box, but to get total control, you still have to root the device which is similar to Jailbreaking an iOS device. The only way to get every app for free is acquiring them through piracy/stealing which is possible on any platform.:mad:

Some Android devices can't be flashed so you shouldn't say Android can never be stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
Jailbreaking is no-way near the same as rooting. When you root an Android device you now have root access which give you access to every single part of the OS which means you can overclock and have un-restricted access to all files and folders even the root directory which is why it’s called "rooting". Jailbreaking does not allow access to the root directory and I don’t think Apple will ever allow the user to access it EVER. Totally different animal if you ask me.

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
I have made the mistake twice of going from iPhone to Android. For me I am not a big techie and I love the simplicity of using iTunes for keeping everything organized. My two cents.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Jailbreaking is no-way near the same as rooting. When you root an Android device you now have root access which give you access to every single part of the OS which means you can overclock and have un-restricted access to all files and folders even the root directory which is why it’s called "rooting". Jailbreaking does not allow access to the root directory and I don’t think Apple will ever allow the user to access it EVER. Totally different animal if you ask me.
I never said rooting and JB were exactly the same. I said they are similar because they open the devices up to more customization. IMO, overclocking is for benchmark queens.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
I had an iPhone 4S since the day it came out, just switched to a galaxy s3 a week ago and while I love it and I still love the iPhone, the GS3's battery life is not better than the iPhone, not sure where you got that from. Yes, the iPhone is 3g and the GS3 is 4glte.. but the battery life is definitely not better. I've always had my iPhones jailbroken and you can do just as much with a jailbroken iPhone as an adroid phone, neither is better. Android is awesome, iOS is awesome.. but in reality, it all comes down to preference. I just got a little bored with the iPhone and iOS and wanted a bigger screen. If the new iPhone has a bigger screen and a few nice perks, I'll probably switch back to one.

Just my thoughts.
For me you hit the nail on the head... I'm just getting bored with the iPhone. That's not a slam at all, I'm just bored. It would most likely be the same if I was on an Android device.
Even thou I don't want to admit it I will probably get sucked into the new phone.
Tom

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I've been using iPhones for a few years now and just bought a used HTC 4G on eBay to try it for a while. It feels heavier than the iPhone but the big screen is also nicer. I'm taking my time testing it.

Regarding getting bored with the iPhone, that will never happen with me because I don't use it for fun. I want a phone that is reliable and easy to use and up to now the iPhone does it all for me. Of course I want a better battery and few other tweeks but the moment it stops doing it what my phone is supposed to do then that's the day I go elsewhere but not because I'm bored. I use the TV to take care of that issue.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I've been using iPhones for a few years now and just bought a used HTC 4G on eBay to try it for a while. It feels heavier than the iPhone but the big screen is also nicer. I'm taking my time testing it.
Don't think I'm familiar with the 4G, did you mean the One X or maybe EVO 4G? (I know, so many models, how does anyone keep track)