iPhone 4 and 3GS Unlock and jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by jacklynee, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

Hello,
    iPhone 4 and 3gs Unlock and jilbrake ? pls note English is my second langauge so i need simple and easy howto:
    ==========
    I have iPhone 4:
    Version 4.1 8b117
    carrier carrier lab 8.0
    model mc608ll
    modem firmware 02.10.04
    jilbroken and unlock with gavy sim
    ===========
    iPhone 3gs
    Version 4.1 8b117
    carrier carrier 8.0
    model mc64oll
    modem firmware 06.15.00
    jilbroken and unlock software and the iPhone is able to be shut down and turn off and on with no problem
    ==========

The goal is
    to back up both phone with iTunes and iFun box
    Second to get the phone jilbroken and updated with new OS possible OS 5.0
    Third to unlock both phone
    Fourth add all files back they they where before upgrade

Sorry for being so new to this

Thank you very much
    Jack

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Unlock section.

3. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Your iPhone 4 will have a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1. If you want to keep using the Gevey SIM, you'll want to preserve the baseband. The easiest way to do this is to create a custom firmware for 5.0.1 with Sn0wbreeze. To ensure that you don't get an error when restoring in iTunes with the custom firmware to 5.0.1, you should put your device into pwned dfu mode (Sn0wbreeze has an option for that) first.

Your iPhone 3GS may or may not have a tethered jb. It depends on if it's a new or old bootrom. If you don't know, you may check with iDetector (computer program). Old boot is untethered, new boot is tethered on 5.0.1. Because 4.1 is untethered for all devices, you can't really tell if you have the new or old boot. For upgrading to 5.0.1: You would follow the same process as the iPhone 4 when upgrading to 5.0.1. Create a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze. You will unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia after upgrading/jailbreaking.

When you create custom firmware, depending on if you have an official SIM to activate with or not, you'll want to set that. In Sn0wbreeze, under Expert mode, in General, you can select to "activate" or uncheck it. If you have an official SIM to activate with, I highly recommend not selecting to "activate" the custom firmware.

4. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Edit: The 3GS will not work with Ultrasn0w on 5.0.1. You'll have to do some manual tweaking with SSH after you jailbreak it. You might reconsider trying to upgrade the 3GS just because it takes some extra work to get Ultrasn0w working on it.

5. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

hello iAnnie,
    I tried snowbreez new jilbrake in my iPhone 4 and it failed twice after iTunes restored it
    I was lucky after restarting my cell phone the old os was still their and baseband with gavy sim works as usual so
    i asumed my phone was not upgraded ... to be honest i was supper scared even after few days reading about it and watching million videos

So i am not sure what can do to succsfully upgrade my phone to 5.0 or 5.1 OS

6. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Could be be specific about how "it failed?" If you received an error message in iTunes, please specify what number error it was.

7. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

Hello, Unfortunatily i did not save the error message but it was something like " itune is not able to restore your iso because the os is not supproted. and a number of error with it that all i renumber also i tried with OS 5.0 that i downloaded actually from snowbreez site with snowbreez and i believe it is iso 5.0 GSM

8. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

Also just wonder , i heard about factory unlock via imei by paying a website not sure if that is scam or a real deal seen videos in you toube

Thanks

9. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

5.0 will definitely not work. You can only upgrade to 5.0.1. Did you set your phone into pwned DFU mode with sn0wbreeze first before trying to restore to the custom fw?

10. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

You can only trust imei/factory unlocking now if your carrier is the one offering the service.

11. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

Hello ,

I guess i can try to download iso 5.1 from Apple store via iTunes but i am scared once i download it . it might upgrade and i am scared of that. also i was wondering if their is any way i can upgrade my phone to 4.3 or little higher and have updated baseband ?

12. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Download it from somewhere else then. Like felixbruns.de.

13. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

You can only upgrade to 4.x if you have SHSHs saved for it. You can check with TinyUmbrella. Click Save SHSHs.

14. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

Hello iAnnie,
    You seems you know you stuff more then anyone else i spoken too Thank you very much for all the help and advise
    i mangaed to download the iso 5.1 from iTunes and dissconnected my phone and downloads keep going so that is a good news because i am getting a real os that i can trust i have rar file of sn0wbreeze-v2.8b8 and here are my phone info
    iPhone 4 16GB black Orginal
    Version: 4.1 (8b117)
    Carrier: Carrier lab 8.0
    Model: Mc608LL
    Modem: 02.10.04
    Unlock is by gavy sim

I am on T-Mobile network so in advance tab i will have to select hacktivate option and i think mybe for future i will need to activate ssh

I am using windows 7 64bit home as pc and iTunes is updated to last one and icloud installed also

Thanks

Please advise

15. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

When your firmware is finished downloading, create a custom firmware with it with Sn0wbreeze. You're right, if you don't have an official SIM to activate with, you'll want to have Sn0wbreeze make an activated fw for you to restore with.

So you'd go to expert mode>general>checkmark box to activate. Build the firmware.

When that's done, Sn0wbreeze will give you a timer to put your phone in pwned DFU mode. So follow that timer precisely and get your phone in pwned DFU.

After that's done, open iTunes and hold shift, click restore, select your custom firmware (should've saved on your desktop).

Remember, this will make your phone tethered jb. You'll need Redsn0w to boot tethered whenever your phone shuts off or reboots.

You can install in Cydia the "semi-tether" tweak so that if your phone reboots, you still have stock phone functions. Boot tethered with redsn0w whenever you get the chance and you'll regain your jb tweaks and apps.

16. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

hello any idea where iTunes in windows keeps update files for iso . i cant find it any where in my pc ? googling it now
    Thanks

17. jacklynee

jacklynee Member
    Bronze

Hello snowbreez is failing to locate the file or recognize it
    iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore

Any more advise ?

18. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Use sn0wbreeze v2.8b11

19. jacklynee