iPhone 4 battery drain question

Elcampnou

Jul 24, 2010
Hi guys, the last few days I've noticed my iPhone 4 battery daring A LOT quicker than usual. Thing is I'm so busy at work I'm using my phone less than I normally do. I've just looked at my usage to try get some numbers for comparison & my standby & usage times are identical... Weird? I'm currently on 4.3.3 JB. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Attachments

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I don't jb, but these are the standard tips to save on battery life that you can find on just about any iPhone 4 battery saving search. I follow all except for 3 and 10 and my battery only goes down about 20-25% with minimal use while I am at work.

1. Dim the Screen brightness – Below halfway saves a significant amount of battery.

2. WiFi OFF, Scanning OFF – If you are not using WiFi turn it off. Also turn WiFi scanning off if you don’t need to search for connections.

3. Toggle off 3G until needed – If you are in an area with no 3G coverage, turn it off.

4. Set the Auto-Lock period to 1 minute – Change this under Settings > General > Auto-lock. This will prevent you from leaving your iPhone on for longer than necessary.

5. Set Push to Off, and Set Fetch Time – Push will “push” your emails to you rather than you having to manually check when you receive an email. This saves battery, so if there is no problem manually checking your mail, turn this off. Also turn Fetch off if you don’t need it, Fetch will synchronizecalendar, contacts and emails.

6. Turn off “Location Services” – Some apps may require the use of Location Services, but If it is not important to you, switch it off.

7. Turn off Bluetooth – Settings > General > Bluetooth > Off.

8. Turn off the music equalizer (EQ) – While this may show an improvement in the sound quality of your music, it also reduces battery life. If you do not care for the EQ much, switch it off. Settings>ipod>EQ>Off.

9. Let the battery completely drain and then fully charge it – Apple recommends that this cycle is performed at least once per month.

10. Use Airplane mode more often – When in low or no coverage areas, switch Airplane mode on to conserve battery. Also when you don’t need the phone for calls etc., switch it on.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
If, by chance, the OP is using the Weather Channel app, they recently had to do a quick update to deal with a programming error that failed to turn off the GPS chip when exiting the app.

YMMV

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
If, by chance, the OP is using the Weather Channel app, they recently had to do a quick update to deal with a programming error that failed to turn off the GPS chip when exiting the app.

YMMV
I was going to say that. And by the op usage and standby being the same it has to be something operating non stop.
I had the same problem with weather channel app two days ago.

Elcampnou

Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for your replies people but I do follow most of those battery saving tips and I don't have the mentioned app. But the usage times do suggest something is running constantly. I close down all my apps regularly & re-boot the phone every couple of days. Gonna let the battery drain completely tonight...

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Thanks for your replies people but I do follow most of those battery saving tips and I don't have the mentioned app. But the usage times do suggest something is running constantly. I close down all my apps regularly & re-boot the phone every couple of days. Gonna let the battery drain completely tonight...
And u did a hard reset ( home button and power button till Apple symbol appears)?

Elcampnou

Jul 24, 2010
Thank you. Did a hard reset & battery seems massively improved today. Can't compare times though as the standby/usage times are both blank -

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Thank you. Did a hard reset & battery seems massively improved today. Can't compare times though as the standby/usage times are both blank -
They will after the next full charge. Anytime u do a reset it wipes the usage till plugged in again.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I actually reboot my iPhone daily, find that I get better battery life by doing it. Now it's just habit.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I actually reboot my iPhone daily, find that I get better battery life by doing it. Now it's just habit.
I normally do it twice back to back. Almost everyday at the end of the day before I put her to bed for the night.
Yep I said her. She is a sexy smooth slick piece of equipment.