iPhone 4 Car Solutions

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
So FM transmitters are the easy way out, but I'm looking for a real car solution: playing music, taking phone calls, docked for easy navigation and charging.

It occurred to me that the iPhone can play music via bluetooth so getting a stereo for my car could be the answer to the first two. Then I just need to get some type of dock. This way looks expensive because it's about $200 for the stereo and about $100 for installation.

What is your iPhone 4 car solution?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If you're going to buy a car stereo, make sure you get one with iPod or iPhone controls (prove that it works with the iPhone 4 before purchasing) or at the least a front USB connector that also acts as a charger. The quality of sound through the AUX connection is not as refined and rich as a USB connection when listening to music with the iPhone. Trust me!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
If you're going to buy a car stereo, make sure you get one with iPod or iPhone controls (prove that it works with the iPhone 4 before purchasing) or at the least a front USB connector that also acts as a charger. The quality of sound through the AUX connection is not as refined and rich as a USB connection when listening to music with the iPhone. Trust me!
Ok thanks. What about bluetooth though? Because you can't take a phone call through the dock.

dawiyo

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
Bel Air, MD
www.pier23studio.com
From my experience, the newer Pioneer systems have great iPod controls built-in. I can't say anything bad about it except for it runs a tad bit slower than the native phone menu navigation.

This is a Pioneer P3100DVD in my WRX by the way. I know there is an add-on for Bluetooth (it's a physical box) but I'm not sure if that's for anymore than hands-free calling.

ibrencent

Bronze
Oct 25, 2008
Palm Harbor, FL
Pioneer FH-P800BT. Love the stereo and looks stock with easy controls and the price is right for what you get.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I have a Fusion. I picked up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CK9S7O/ref=oss_product

Very easy to install. I also picked up an RCA to iPhone/iPod cable. It charges my iPod classic but unfortunately does not charge my iPhone. Audio is great.

As far as Radios with iPod control... I hate them. I had a Kenwood and navigation was so terrible. It took nearly a minute to find the song I wanted. Some other companies may have it down, but I know my iPhone so well that I find it much easier to change the song on the phone.