iPhone 4 completely dead, won't charge

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by Cameron, May 29, 2012.

1. Cameron

Cameron New Member

My phone was running really hot for awhile and the flying through the battery. I ordered a new battery online, but before it arrived, my phone started working better again. It worked well for a week and then did the same thing - running hot and going through a battery in like an hour. So I replaced the battery. It didn't help. It was still running hot. Then, like before, it started working better out of the blue. About a week later I was camping and my phone died. I figured it was no big deal and I would plug it it when I got home. Now it won't charge. I've tried everything I've read, including: hard reset, different cords, different outlets, different computers, holding the home button and plugging it in. Nothing is working. I don't even have the screen that tells me to plug it in. It is completely dead. It's out of warranty. I called Apple and they said I could take it to an Apple Store but the cheapest thing it could be would be the battery, which is still $80, and I don't think it's that since I already replaced the battery. It's an iPhone 4 with the newest iOS and it is about 18 months old. I normally wouldn't post but I've read a few thousand entries and nothing seems to tackle my problem. I am up for buying replacement parts on Amazon and trying them out before I buy something new, too. Thanks

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you attempted to take it to the Apple store or an authorized retail store for them to at least take a look at it for you? It sounds like the best thing for you to do is buy a new iPhone. Or a used one in good condition. But be careful about used online, especially with phones. Don't rush into buying a new phone yet without asking about your phone issues. But, in my opinion it's not worth the trouble of cat and mouse game with new parts. Phones can be hard to diagnose yourself.

3. Cameron

Cameron New Member

I will buy a new one if I absolutely have to. Just trying to make that the last option. My plan was to hold off until Octoberish and get the new one when it comes out rather than wasting my upgrade now. I haven't taken it to an Apple store yet. The closest one is over an hour away and I don't usually have a whole lot of free time. So I'm trying to exhaust all other options first. On a side note, my old battery still had about 15% on it when I took it out so I switched the batteries again and I was able to turn it on. It's running ok now, but who knows for how long. Does anyone know if there is any way I could charge the spare battery that is not currently in my phone so in the case that my phone dies and won't turn back on, I have a backup battery with enough life in it to get the phone turned on? Like maybe those things that charge your phone just by setting the phone on it?

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you tried taking your phone into an authorized store such as Best Buy? They have a phone department that could try and assist you. Sometimes they will try and help you for free, to at least find out the issues and possible solutions.

5. Cameron

Cameron New Member

I took it to Best Buy first. They told me to give Apple a call.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

For me, Apple over the phone will listen to your problem and try to help you to the best of their ability even if you're out of warranty and phone support.