iPhone 4 cracked glass questions

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by vice86, Dec 15, 2011.

1. vice86

vice86 Member
    Bronze

Hi folks....my bro bought an OtterBox case for his iPhone 4..as he was about to put it on he decided to get something from the garage first...on his way to the garage he dropped his phone and cracked his glass..lol. Talk about crappy luck.

Anyhoo...he was due for an upgrade and rather have put the money towards a new phone so he got a SkyRocket and let me use his iPhone 4...upgrading from an all of a sudden really slow lately 3GS. While I do love the little speed increase...the cracked glass is annoying.

Are the kits you see on ebay or amazon for $25-$35 complete junk? Reviews say the screens aren't as bright and stuff...but that doesn't really bother me. There's some shops here in NYC that will fix it while I wait for $99...but I don't even know if they're using OEM screens for that either....and do I want to spend $99 plus tax on a phone I may not even use much longer as I too also wait to upgrade to Android...but then again, is it worth the $99 just to avoid pretty much disassembling the phone myself and possibly screwing it all up. It doesn't look like its that hard to do..just tedious.

Has anyone just picked off the broken glass, throw on a case with a plastic window like the OtterBox and been happy with that? I kinda don't want a case on it though...darn OB case is so bulky.

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

You'll have to replace the whole front panel, screen included as that's insanely hard to separate from the glass. I think $99 is a good price, methinks?

3. vice86

vice86 Member
    Bronze

Yeah, learned that after ordering just a screen off a guy on ebay...luckily he was a good seller and refunded my order before he even shipped it out. I don't know why people are even selling just the front glass piece. You can't split the LCD from it and need the whole thing.