iPhone 4 - Error Message When Restoring To Preserve Baseband - Redsnow

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by candn14, Jan 27, 2012.

1. candn14

candn14 New Member

I have an iPhone 4 which is locked to AT&T so been using a Gevey Sim and wanting to preserve my baseband and then upgrade to the latest ISO5.

Doing this via Redsnow so got the right update with the BB infront but when trying to restore it using that file it comes up with this error message:

"The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Any tips, advice, help for this would be great trying to sort it out today.

My Macbook Pro and iTunes are all up to date too! Tried this on my partner Macbook too and still the same message!

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you are trying to update to 5.0 rather than 5.0.1, you'll need to redirect from Apple to Saurik's server. The easiest way to do this is to check the box next to 'set hosts file to Cydia' in TinyUmbrella. The alternative is to add his server address into your hosts file. Other than that, make sure you are using the iPhone 4 version of 5.x and not the 3GS or iPhone 4S version. Also make sure you update iTunes.

4. candn14

candn14 New Member

Thank you very much for this reply! Seems good! I will try it out tomorrow morning!

If you have time could you give me some step by step tips on how to redirect server etc...

I can either update it to 5.0 or 5.0.1 either one is good for me! As long as i can preserve the baseband for the Gevey Sim then I am happy!

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have already made a custom firmware with a preserved baseband, right? If so, just install TinyUmbrella and check the box next to 'set hosts file to Cydia'. Then hit the shift key and the restore button in iTunes, browse for the custom firmware and restore. This is for 5.0. You don't have to shift+restore if you are restoring to 5.0.1.

6. candn14

candn14 New Member

Yeah already have the custom firmware! Fantastic. I will give this a go in the morning and will let you know how it goes :)

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Anticipate an error after the restore completes. It will get stuck in recovery mode due to the failed baseband update. You can kick it out of recovery mode with Fix Recovery. It can be downloaded on the TinyUmbrella website.
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

8. candn14

candn14 New Member

I tried doing the steps above:

• In Tiny Umbrella in Advance ticking the box to - Set Host to Cydia on Exit
    • Then I have made a NO BB software update from this website - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750 the 5.0 (4 GSM) software
    • Then convert it with Redsnow
    • Put the iPhone in DFU mode and then on iTunes press 'option' then restore selecting the NO BB version software
    • It starts to do the proces and then again the message comes up stating '"The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"
    • I have tried this a couple of times with no success :(
    What am i doing right? wrong? Why is it not working!

9. candn14

candn14 New Member

Any idea>?