iPhone 4 looking to upgrade to iOS 5

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by eugchen23, Dec 8, 2011.

1. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

will doing this pretty much make my phone an iPhone 5? or will there be limitations? can i get SIRI on the phone? i currently have an iPhone 4 with IOS 4.0.

2. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Contributor
    Bronze

It will give you everything that the 4S has other than:

A. Siri
    B. Improved camera
    C. Faster processor

Other than that everything else will be the same.

Craig

3. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

oh no SIRI? ok thanks, i didn't know that

4. ZenFury

ZenFury New Member

I can no longer recommend upgrading to ios 5. Had issues w iPhone 4s, Apple replaced , issue persist. Issues w iPad 1, best buy replaced w ipad2. Issues persist. Issues,on iPhone 4, and additional iPad 1 persist. All devices now run its 5, and all devices now have issues. Do not recommend updating at all!

5. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

wow---thanks for the heads up....

6. ZenFury

ZenFury New Member

No problem. I'd just wait till they get it fixed. I think they rushed it this time, trying to get iPhone 4s out before Christmas. iOS 5 just isn't stable.

7. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I currently have an iPhone 4 and upgraded to ios 5.0.1 and all is working quite well for me. When I did the initial upgrade, I noticed a few "bugs", but since the 5.0.1, no problems. Battery life good and I like the platform.

8. ZenFury

ZenFury New Member

Give it time. Mine seemed fine at first too. It seems to be some kind of cascading issue.

9. e5c4p3artist

e5c4p3artist New Member

Please describe the issues you are having, Zen. We have 2 iPhone 4's and a 4G iPod touch with no issues.

10. ZenFury

ZenFury New Member

The list would take too long. Let's start with iPhone 4s. Looses wifi constantly. Like five second intervals. As a result can't take advantage of updating without hard link. Crashing of apps. Constantly. Several won't even load. These apps all ran before iOS came out on my iPad 1 and iPod touches, which the iPod touches run much better than either of the two newer supposedly more advanced devices. iPad 2 won't even download from app store. Ipad2 since last since now all photos are severely reduced in quality, way too pixelated to recognize people as anything but blobs. iTunes won't recognize iPad 2 or iPhone 4s about 50% of time, and now iPad is forcing a restore just to sync. Blah blah blah, it just goes on and on. Oh, and something new since iOS 5 too, half the time when you sync, a huge percentage of say podcasts, while they show up in device iTunes, are greyed out and you can't play them. Infuriating since that is what iPod is for.

I have noticed since reading the boards that the vast majority of people who don't have issues, have macs. Wonder if it's an ios5/windows issue.

11. e5c4p3artist

e5c4p3artist New Member

Wow. Not good. However, I think you are in the minority. My iTunes is running on a Windows 7 PC. And I have the three devices mentioned above, but zero of the issues you mention.

My experience with IOS5 has been excellent so far, and now that each of my devices has access to every single one of the songs in my 22k+ song library (via iTunes Match, which requires IOS5), I couldn't be happier.

Although iTunes Match does have some issues, but that's a different topic.

Sorry you are having problems. Hopefully you can get them sorted out soon!

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yikes. I haven't had any of these problems. Did you restore from a backup of an older device? A restore to factory settings should fix it.

13. ZenFury

ZenFury New Member

Artist sounds like an Apple employee. and minority is a carefuly chosen word. Compared to total number of devices sold, sure. But the more places I go to try to find answers, the more I see similar issues.

Nope. It forces me to restore as new, and one of the steps the The Apple site has on their help pages has you dump your back ups and temp files anyways.

14. ZenFury

ZenFury New Member

Additionally, somewhere in the middle there I even reformatted my computer. A WAY bigger hassle than I should have had to go through. Restored only media files and put fresh copies of software only after the issue presented again, and I could rule out software conflicts.