iPhone 4 says 100% charge, but it depeletes

Aug 1, 2007
really fast. and I normally have to power cycle it a couple times to get that extra 1 percent in cause its another 20 minutes on my battery. anyone else have this issue?

Aug 1, 2007
it was jailbroken. now it's restored, having the same issue.

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks lol. Its been a day didn't think it would be a problem.

Aug 1, 2007
Did you restore from backup or setup as new. Might be a corrupted backup. I would try the restore again.
It's a brand new phone. It was restored as a new phone and I restored the firmware twice now. I restart it, itll say its charged, but it'll take about a minute and it'll start randomly charging. My last iPhone 4 did this too.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Whats fast? What's the usage at?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
First off, turn off the following and test.
1) Push for email. By default, this is on, even if you don't have a push type email account. Turn check for mail to manual as well.
2) Turn off Location Services. This is your GPS. If you want/need to leave it on, then you should go through the list of apps that use it and turn off all that you don't care about or want to use your location. I turn it off for everything except those apps that are location based like maps, and Layers
3) turn off BlueTooth. Technically, you can leave this on, but if you have something connected to it all the time, it's a huge battery drain. I have a Jawbone Icon headset that I keep off till I want to use it. then I turn it on, it connects automatically, and when I am done, I turn it off again.
4)Brightness, anything less than 50% is good, but in general, the lower the brightness, the better. Full Brightness will chew through the battery quickly. And turn Auto brightness ON (many people say to turn it off, but overall, its better on since it adjusts to your environment. If you are in a brightly lit area, it will brighten up the screen so you can see it better. It will turn it down in dark areas because you don't need it to be super bright in a dark location.
5) Signal Strength. There is not a lot you can do here. If you have 3+ bars on your phone all the time, then this shouldn't matter, but if you are 2 or lower, the phone works harder to maintain connection to the tower- which means more power is used. For calls, you can try just Edge service, but if you are using Data, keep 3G on if you don't have access to Wifi.
6) Wifi. Turn off "Ask to Join Networks" People have argued with me about this, but when it's on, it's actively searching for wifi signals, which (all together now) uses battery. If you turn that function off, then the phone will not search for wifi signals until you actually go into wifi settings and look to see whats out there.
If you have home Wifi and a strong signal, you can still leave Wifi on and it will not drain the battery unless it's actually being used.
7) Finally, Notifications. This is actually not a big battery drain unless you have a lot of apps sending notifications all the time. Then it becomes a problem (and a nuisance) I leave this up to your personal discretion.

Other tips are to top off your battery as often as possible. The battery is a Lithium Polymer battery and it performs better when it's kept charged. Draining it empty and then recharging it is actually harmful to it. The battery prefers to have electrons flowing at all times. This means you should not turn off the phone for any length of time either.
The drain once a month that Apple recommends is strictly for resetting the battery meter, but it's actually not good for the battery itself. My benchmarks for how low I let my phone get are 60% when a charger is nearby, and 40% when there isn't one. Letting my phone go below 40% only happens when testing, and I still only go down to 15% at the lowest. I avoid testing for weeks at a time- sometimes months.

Aug 1, 2007
First off, turn off the following and test.
1) Push for email. By default, this is on, even if you don't have a push type email account. Turn check for mail to manual as well.
2) Turn off Location Services. This is your GPS. If you want/need to leave it on, then you should go through the list of apps that use it and turn off all that you don't care about or want to use your location. I turn it off for everything except those apps that are location based like maps, and Layers
3) turn off BlueTooth. Technically, you can leave this on, but if you have something connected to it all the time, it's a huge battery drain. I have a Jawbone Icon headset that I keep off till I want to use it. then I turn it on, it connects automatically, and when I am done, I turn it off again.
4)Brightness, anything less than 50% is good, but in general, the lower the brightness, the better. Full Brightness will chew through the battery quickly. And turn Auto brightness ON (many people say to turn it off, but overall, its better on since it adjusts to your environment. If you are in a brightly lit area, it will brighten up the screen so you can see it better. It will turn it down in dark areas because you don't need it to be super bright in a dark location.
5) Signal Strength. There is not a lot you can do here. If you have 3+ bars on your phone all the time, then this shouldn't matter, but if you are 2 or lower, the phone works harder to maintain connection to the tower- which means more power is used. For calls, you can try just Edge service, but if you are using Data, keep 3G on if you don't have access to Wifi.
6) Wifi. Turn off "Ask to Join Networks" People have argued with me about this, but when it's on, it's actively searching for wifi signals, which (all together now) uses battery. If you turn that function off, then the phone will not search for wifi signals until you actually go into wifi settings and look to see whats out there.
If you have home Wifi and a strong signal, you can still leave Wifi on and it will not drain the battery unless it's actually being used.
7) Finally, Notifications. This is actually not a big battery drain unless you have a lot of apps sending notifications all the time. Then it becomes a problem (and a nuisance) I leave this up to your personal discretion.

Other tips are to top off your battery as often as possible. The battery is a Lithium Polymer battery and it performs better when it's kept charged. Draining it empty and then recharging it is actually harmful to it. The battery prefers to have electrons flowing at all times. This means you should not turn off the phone for any length of time either.
The drain once a month that Apple recommends is strictly for resetting the battery meter, but it's actually not good for the battery itself. My benchmarks for how low I let my phone get are 60% when a charger is nearby, and 40% when there isn't one. Letting my phone go below 40% only happens when testing, and I still only go down to 15% at the lowest. I avoid testing for weeks at a time- sometimes months.
Most of those are off. I use GPS for a lot of stuff and my brightness is around 48 percent.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Most of those are off. I use GPS for a lot of stuff and my brightness is around 48 percent.
The gps could be a major part of your battery drain. What app you use, such as Navigon / TomTom, etc...
Those are battery hogs if left running.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The gps could be a major part of your battery drain. What app you use, such as Navigon / TomTom, etc...
Those are battery hogs if left running.
I agree. even if left in the "background" they use a LOT of juice.
That's one Myth that Apple created about the task manager. Things in the task manager are on "hold" till you start using them again. But what they didn't say was that those items also hold the memory they use, and in some cases, will actually continue to operate regardless of not being the "app in use". A better way to explain it would be like Pandora. Pandora continues to stream music even while you are in another app. Kind of the same thing with GPS apps. They actually maintain their satellite connections until the app is actually ended. This could be where most of your drain is coming from.

Aug 1, 2007
I don't have a problem with the drain itself. Not sure if anyone has noticed, but sometimes the phone lasts about 15-20 minutes if not more longer at that 100% before dropping down to 99. it's really hard to reset the phone a few times and get that extra juice in, but you can do it. i recommend it , it makes the phone seem to last a LOT longer and that could be some peoples problem with battery life because their not getting that extra 15-20 minutes out of their charge..
it SAYS its charged, but it really isn't. reset the phone once or twice, unplug it and plug it back in. itll either say its charging again, or it will say its charged then switch to the charging status. then, you get your extra juice.

P.S. If that doesn't work, when it's fully charged, do a hard reset unplug the wire and let it reboot. Then plug it back in, and it will charge for a 5 to 10 minutes.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Sounds like you guys do a lot of stuff that isn't needed. Turn your email push notification off, really?

And turn your navigation on and set directions. Put your phone to sleep and within 5 mins it will los connection. So thats not it either.

The truth is his phone is fine.

Aug 1, 2007
Sounds like you guys do a lot of stuff that isn't needed. Turn your email push notification off, really?

And turn your navigation on and set directions. Put your phone to sleep and within 5 mins it will los connection. So thats not it either.

It's so cool to get another 20 minutes out of a charge just by resetting the phone and leaving the phone be for 5-10 minutes. and it does make a difference by the end of the day too, 20 minutes really does surprisingly.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

If you had read my post, you would have seen that I said TEST with those off.
Not to toot my own horn here, but I would say that I know more about how to get the most out of your battery and what makes it drain than most of the people on this forum. I have posted multiple screen shots of hitting absurdly long usage times on multiple occasions that I have yet to see anyone match.
If the OP think his battery is draining too fast, then he needs to test to see if he can narrow it down to an app or not.
And concerning navigation staying connected, I never said anything about putting it to sleep. I was talking about using a different app with navigation in the background- it stays connected. And you yourself said it takes 5 minutes to lose connection if you do put the phone to sleep. 5 minutes of it staying connected it 5 minutes too long. (although I sincerely doubt it stay connected longer than a couple seconds once the phone is alseep- with the exception of FindMyiPhone and similar apps that connect even when the phone is alseep)

Aug 1, 2007
If you had read my post, you would have seen that I said TEST with those off.
Not to toot my own horn here, but I would say that I know more about how to get the most out of your battery and what makes it drain than most of the people on this forum. I have posted multiple screen shots of hitting absurdly long usage times on multiple occasions that I have yet to see anyone match.
If the OP think his battery is draining too fast, then he needs to test to see if he can narrow it down to an app or not.
And concerning navigation staying connected, I never said anything about putting it to sleep. I was talking about using a different app with navigation in the background- it stays connected. And you yourself said it takes 5 minutes to lose connection if you do put the phone to sleep. 5 minutes of it staying connected it 5 minutes too long. (although I sincerely doubt it stay connected longer than a couple seconds once the phone is alseep- with the exception of FindMyiPhone and similar apps that connect even when the phone is alseep)
My battery is fine. I'm content with it and I prefer my GPS on cause I use it a lot with the apps I use. Right now with gps on, screen brightness on 48 percent, wifi and 3g on *currently connected to wifi* lots of data use and internet and texting and pic messaging, i have

Standby: 9 hours and 38 minutes Usage: 3 hours and 41 minutes at 64%

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
20 mins may be a lot to you, but in truth I think the OP is rather paranoid. It's a new phone right? How old is it? Give the battery some time to adjust. If you think the iPhone battery life is horrible, get the Mophie Juice Pack or something similar.

You'll get used to it. All this effort to get just 20 mins of extra battery time..(´・_・`)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My battery is fine. I'm content with it and I prefer my GPS on cause I use it a lot with the apps I use. Right now with gps on, screen brightness on 48 percent, wifi and 3g on *currently connected to wifi* lots of data use and internet and texting and pic messaging, i have

Standby: 9 hours and 38 minutes Usage: 3 hours and 41 minutes at 64%
Like I originally said, I was only suggesting you turn things off to test where you find your biggest battery drain.
I personally have it ALL on. Notifications, Location Services, BT, 3G, Wifi.... The only thing I do is I make sure that my task manager is limited to 4 apps or less, and I limit what apps use notifications and location services.
I actually made the suggestion to Apple right before 3.0 came out that they change location services to operate exactly like it does now. (I actually sent about a dozen suggestions to them in that regard) It does make a bit of difference, and limits the annoyance of geo-tagging everything.